Old 10-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default OK the mystery bridge my take

Alright. The Ghaulie Road is referenced on the ODNR publication that lists launch areas. That's a link from this site. ODNR has an access listed between Kinsman and Milligan Road. That road is at Allen Corners and is township road T256 on various maps. I have never seen the name Ghaulie anywhere including an 1874 township map I found online. I think the Ghaulie Rd Bridge reference was a typo by ODNR. ODNR still shows a parking area on both sides of the river at that location.

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
maggy  (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
maggy

Great Link to hillmap.com Thank you!!!

T256 is definitely Job-Greenville Rd and there is state game land access and parking on both Rt 7 in Ohio and from Orangeville-Kinsman in PA - Access in Ohio is almost directly across from Badger High next to a crop field as you have described. The unmarked road ends at a parking area and the river is a little hike. There are 2 older stone bridge foundations back in the woods. What we think was the road is covered with trees and brush and I haven't found out when it was closed. We didn't walk all the way to the larger bridge foundation from the PA side. The old stones are impressive on the larger bridge. From either Ohio or PA it seems like a bit of a hike carrying boats to get to a decent access point.

When I was searching I got a good view from the GIS map at the Trumbull County Auditor's site. Mercer County has FINALLY published a GIS parcel map this year with aerial layers ... yes! I also tried to find Ghaulie on historical maps and looked for the name Ghaulie on census records - genealogy sites... thinking it was named after a resident.

Do you know when the Milligan East Rd Bridge was closed? It looks like it is in great shape and not built too long ago? Perhaps due to flooding? I can't find any information online about it.

EDIT Addendum...the cal topo map at Hillmap.com has a dotted line where the road used to be which is lot like the GIS map at the trumbull county site.... that's how we figured out where the bridges might be - the dotted lines for the roads. The Hillmap is much nicer though... thanks!

Last edited by maggy; 10-15-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: addendum
maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #13
maggy

Default Another Typo

A note about road name typos.
While searching for land tracts with the name Ghaulie on historical maps I've found that Milligan East probably should have been named Millikin East.
This map shows Ida M. Millikin as owning the property at Route 7.
I checked cemetery records to see if maybe the map had a typo and Ida and Robert Millikin are buried in Vernon at Westview Cemetery.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/...nty+194x/Ohio/
The Following User Says Thank You to maggy For This Useful Post:
swampboy62  (10-19-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
JPTolson

Default Saegertown to Meadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggy View Post
We are thinking of trying French creek from Saegertown to Meadville. Is that too advanced for beginners? I've been reading about it on the French Creek Trail site. We'll definitely scout before attempting it.
I have never paddled that stretch of French Creek, but from the account in Canoeing Guide to Western Pennsylvania, it doesn't sound difficult.

http://canoe.shaw-weil.com

You will have to agree to a disclaimer on this page to access the river guide.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #15
maggy

Quote:
I have never paddled that stretch of French Creek, but from the account in Canoeing Guide to Western Pennsylvania, it doesn't sound difficult.

http://canoe.shaw-weil.com
Thank you for the info and for the link!