Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
erbego

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Looking for opinion on Eddyline Rio

I am in the market for a more appropriate boat for use on local flat-water rivers than the one I have now. The stats all look good for a female of my size and considerable experience, but Eddyline isn't promoting the Rio as a river boat despite its name (Spanish for river). The recommended paddler size, length, width and light weight of the Rio are what attracts me to it. Just wondering whether anyone in this club has experience with this boat on rivers like, for example, the Shenango and the Mohican. I paddle a lot of very shallow rivers with rocky bottoms, but can read water so am generally able to minimize the scraping and banging. My fiberglass boat, which is not designed to be a river boat, has held up well to the abuses to which it has been subjected on the rivers.

Thanks for any input you can share.

Erin
erbego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
mfdanko99

Hello Erin,
nice to hear from you. We have paddled the west fork of beaver creek and Cuyahoga Kent section together.

The only thing I know of the rio is it is a ABS style plastic. Stronger than fiber glass but not as strong Rotomolded polyethylene.

In the long run with rivers like Beaver Creek and Mohican that have rocky bottoms is the ABS will start to crack quicker then the Rotomolded polyethylene.
But knowing how good of a paddler you are will also make the abs last longer.

Also on the up side the abs is lighter than Rotomolded polyethylene.

I can use Ken and Cheryl as a good example, when they do lakes or parts of the Mahoning they use an abs style plastic kayaks that are super light. Any time they might do shallow water or more rocky water they switch to the heaver plastic kayaks.

Hope this help, not sure if it will
Mike
Old 03-29-2019, 05:34 AM   #3
erbego

Thanks, Mike. Your input was helpful. I sent you an email with more of a response, but did want to mention here that I am hoping to learn a bit about the boat's handling, stability and comfort if any out there has paddled one. Ken, if you are reading this I'd love to hear chat with you about the ABS boats you and Cheryl paddle.
erbego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
KenM

Default Light vs Durable

Welcome to the "lighter vs heavy & durable" boat conumdrum.

We like our 3-layer ABS Hurricanes for ease of carrying around and loading. They also seem to be a bit more nimble on the water and handle well in a variety of conditions.

As Mike noted... There are some trade-offs with any ABS boat. They need a bit more care than polyethylene most of which you are used to with your fiberglass boat. We don't drag them on land. We enter/exit parallel to the shore (dirt or cement ramp). When we do get stuck on rock or gravel we get out and walk rather than grind by pushing with paddle. Basically we avoid or minimize anything abrasive. We do still take out our 10 ft Perception Prodigies occassionally for a rock garden trip.

You know K & C paddle flat or moving water (within our capabilities). As far as moving water, our Hurricanes have been down the Grand with low water when we had to search for a channel with enough water. I've been down the Little Beaver a couple of times with TCT...one of which was a bit low and rocky. Two overnights on the Tionesta (one with you) and Clarion. At least 7 times down the Shenango below dam. Several times on the Mahoning some of which had some fun rapids. I think we did the lower Mohigan with you a few years back. And one 11 mile trip down the Big Darby when water was about 1 inch above walking level...we bumped the whole way. And lots more paddles!

Our Hurricanes now have 5 full seasons on them. The bottoms do have scratches and nicks...mine more than Chery's. I have a small crack from a sharp rock on the Clarion and another small crack on a spot that flexes a bit when sliding over a log/rock. ABS is easy to to repair. If I wear mine out in a few more years I'll buy another ABS. We do take reasonable care of them.

ABS choices? Hurricane, Eddyline. Delta 12 or 12.10

These ABS boats seem always to be noted as recreational or light touring and suitable for flat easy slow rivers or lakes... I guess they don't paddle Ohio?

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 03:35 PM   #5
dm7211961@att.net

So it sounds like you love your hurricanes. I'm looking for an eddyline Equinox if I can find a used one all the better. I think I'll still be a little Leary on rocky shallow rivers with it,but that's mainly because I'm rough on boats but since I do have a folding cart I would probably use it more if I get the eddyline or other abs kayak
dm7211961@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:55 PM   #6
Wooden Canoe

Default entering the discussion of Eddyline Rio model

Well, I essentially wrecked the bottom and bow of my little 12-foot Tupper (open solo canoe) last Spring. This was on low water on the Sojourn from Johnstown to Arnold. It was 3.5 days on exciting but tough water. Besides the guides, I was the only one in an open canoe. The Tupper handled pretty well - I think I went into the river only once - amazingly enough in the swift and rocky "new to me" water. So now I have this Tupper in need of repair -- I think it is a Kevlar composite - weighs 30 pounds. Am thinking that it might be time to have a kayak in my life. Yesterday I saw a 12-foot Eddyline Rio - 35 pounds. It's a nice slick kayak, but I worry about how it would have done on the Sojourn this past Spring. I want both -- lightweight and also sturdy. Willing to take any suggestions. Millie Sass
Wooden Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #7
dm7211961@att.net

Now I have found the Hurricane Tempest 130. And this really has the features and construction ive been looking for to step up my boat fleet.

If youre still reading this thread Ken, have you seen the New Tempest 130 yet?
It is designed more of a recreation boat with touring features and should be a pretty fast boat. Ive been hard on my perception expression so i would have to change my mindset when paddling it and more home care also. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to paddle one yet i believe its a pretty new model? They have one at falls outdoor company hopefully i can get a demo ride someday.

Also Ken if you read this do you wax your hurricanes to help protect them i do know they need to be out of sun even more so than rotomolded plastic. I always wash my boat when i get home and will usually wipe down with 303 protectant within a day or two later. Im sure the ABS would get brittle if left in sun alot.
If anyone has any experience with the Hurricane Tempest 130 I would love thier input. Im looking to buy before mid spring but If i can get to try one and have the funds to spare i might get it before i go florida towards end of feb thru march and take to try out in the gulf of mexico and intercoastal

Thanks again everyone have a great new year
Dave
dm7211961@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 07:35 PM   #8
KenM

Default Tempesr 130 ?

Hurricane Tempest 130 ??

Hurricane Tampico 130 maybe? This is a nice kayak. The lines and chines look like it would be a good handling kayak. I like to carve curves and maneuver around. I'd love to try it out... on a lake. My opinion is it would not be a good choice for moving water. Especially if there were ANY rocks. Why? It has a pronounced keel. Great for smooth water tracking. Not good for moving water. Same as the old canoes with a lake keel. And that keel will be the first to always scrape those hidden rocks. It will grind away.

The bottom of my 12'-6 Santee is rather flat with three small ridges for a keel. I have scraped a lot of rocks in 9 years and they show it. I have applied a bit of sacrificial epoxy to help with abrasion. A more pronounced keel would be worst.

Care of the ABS... I have always applied some sort of wax/protectant to top and bottom. 303 and others. Makes then pretty. And, after K & C have paddled thru a weedy swamp or scooted thru shallow water/mud... they are easier to clean. Ours are always stored inside.

I've only seen one Hurricane that cracked apart. A guy on one of our club paddles bought a used Hurricane that had been stored outside on a rack for a --long-- time. He hit a rock and busted out a chunk of plastic. There were other major repairs too. The constant sun killed it.

---Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote