Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Mahoning river clean up 6-23-12

This trip is a work trip were we are assisting the Trumbull Metro Parks. We will be opening up sections where loggs & tree are down . We need to make the water way easy to pass threw since the Metro Parks have gotten 22.67 Miles of the Mahoning River as a State Water Trail.

The Sections that need cleaning are from Foster Park to Rotary Park in Newton Falls. It is passable but needs be opened up more.
The Second section is from Rotary park to Thomas Swift park in Braceville. At this time there is one place that we must portage in this section. We must get that taken care of.

The plan is to have enough man power to break into to groups. Group A will go with Zack from the Metro Parks and open up Foster down to Rotary Park.
Group B will join myself from Rotary Park down to Thomas Swift.

Please bring any and all saw that could help as well as chaines and ropes.
Also be prepared to get wet & dirty as we will have to jump in the water to get some loggs out or free.
For members who think they can't help , you are mistaken. We could use people to be spotters while we cut or move loggs in there boats and carry extra water or help take ropes across the river. Also you could help with shuttles on this trip.
At this time the mile markers have not come in from ODNR so we will have to help out later this year installing them as well.

Everyone can pitch in and help make this a easy work day for the Mahoning River witch is our reason for being a club!

Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 06-16-2012 at 07:52 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
mfdanko99

Talking Part 2 for June 23 2012

We will be meeting Zack at 8 am at Rotary Park. The address is
Rotary Park
1025 First Street
Newton Falls, OH 4444
LAT 41.196029 LONG -80.967473

There are two parking lots, one is smaller and has the sign by it. The other is up the road about 25 yards and is a dirt slash gravel lot.

From there we will split into two groups and do the shuttles as needed and get to work.
Please bring snacks or lunch for your self.

Any Questions Please call me at 330-847-9741 or email me at
mfdanko99@yahoo.com

Last edited by mfdanko99; 06-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
burrowsj

I'll be there mike. Is there a paddle the 24 or is it more cleanup
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
mfdanko99

Talking

For Sunday the 24th I am hoping we get those two section done on the 23rd
On sunday I would like to go from Canoe City down to Packard park just to make sure it is clear and ok.
The last time I did it was all ok, but I think it would be nice just to check and make sure.
The only down side for sunday is I have to be done by 2pm, so I would like to meet at 8:30 am at canoe city and get the shuttle done and hit the water soon as we can.
The section from Canoe City to Packard Park is just under 6 miles, so I would guess it would be a three hour or little longer with that section being very slow moving water.

Mike
Old 06-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Default Day 1 report

Day one was a success for one section. Only five guys showed up with one K9 for the cleanup. I want to say thank you to Jonathan Burrows, John Paul Tolson, Matt Brady & Rogue for helping Zack & I.

We did the section from Rotary Park to Thomas Swift. In spots the river is completely open and wide while others have spots wide enough for two kayaks to fit threw side by side, but it is run able.

As the end neared we were getting wore out, and then we saw a god send.
Thomas Smith brought his john boat from Canoe City up and spent two hours with the last jam, and got a section cut out. A BIG THANK YOU to Thomas for coming and helping.

I would also like to take a vote and see if the club is willing to replace JP hand saw as it was lost to the Mahoning River. I will bring this up at the club meeting.
Again thank you to all who showed up and supported the Trumbull Metro Parks & our Mahoning River.
Sunday the 24th I will be at Canoe City at 8:30 am to go down and check the river to Packard Park.

Mike
Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
EAR

I'll be there Sunday morning. How is the section from Foster to Rotary ?
Ed
Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Talking Day 2 report

Jonathan Burrows, Ed Rigby & Matt Bradey joined me on checking the last part of the Mahoning Water Trail from Canoe City to Packard Park.

It was a beautiful paddle with no work needed. This section is wide with slow moving water and I don't see it getting clogged up.

We did see a woodchuck, ground hoge, lots of ducks and one Bald Eagle.

There is one small class 1 rapid off of lovers lane dr which we played around in for a couple of minutes.
Over all a great trip and a easy one because we were still tired and little sore from saturday.
Mike Danko