Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 AM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2015 Paddling Year in Review

TCT,
With the year rapidly coming to a close, now is a good time to reflect and take stock of the 2015 paddling season. Last year 12 members shared their paddling high points and low points. Let's hope even more do so this year. Here are mine in chronological order.

High Points

Raccoon Creek (Green Garden Plaza to St. Joe Boat Club, March 29) – This was my first time paddling this little gem thanks to an invitation from Bruce and Dianne Ambrose to join them on a scouting run for a club trip they were leading several weeks later. The lower section of this trip is particularly scenic with a good current and the upper third or so is very interesting with many twists and turns.

Cuyahoga River (through Kent, July 19) – This was the club trip that had been postponed from May due to high water. The river was flowing around 650 cfs on the Old Portage gage and it was a really nice summer day. The current had some zip, especially below the restored but now defunct dam, and it made for a really fun run.

Cuyahoga River (Route 422 to Camp Hi, July 25) – This was another PFD (personal first descent) that my brother-in-law, nephew, and I paddled the day before the club trip that now lives in infamy as the run with a three-hour lunch break!. What I liked about this were the riparian wetlands on the upper section that we do not encounter on most of our runs and the beautiful scenery, also in the upper section.

Shenango River (Pymatuning Dam to Greenville, PA, October 10, Shenango River Watchers' Paddlefest) – There could not have been a more spectacular autumn day. Combine the weather and beautiful scenery of this run with the juiced up flow from the dam arranged by the River Watchers, the party-like atmosphere generated by several hundred paddlers, the post-paddling picnic and as the saying goes, 'It doesn't get any better than this.'

Low Points

Raccoon Creek (same trip as under high points) – I had just eddied out on river right near the bank when I heard Dianne shouting at me to watch out as she pointed up the bank. A very animated pit bull-like dog was charging down the hillside and aiming straight for me. For a second I thought it would leap off the bank and land on top of me. It gave me a bit of a scare, but the dog pulled up suddenly right at the edge of the bank and proved to be friendlier than its intimidating bluster suggested.

Drownings at Willow Grove Park on the Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek (Father's Day) – The news of this tragedy served as a painful reminder of the lethal danger posed by low head dams.

Cuyahoga River through Kent (same trip as under high points) – Prior to putting on the river, paddlers on the trip were cautioned not to get ahead of the trip leader while going by the old dam. They were also advised to eddy out on river right as soon as they passed the dam because the current in the main channel was very strong and would push paddlers toward a large, partially submerged log at the top of an island. Sure enough, two paddlers got ahead and stayed in the main current resulting in two boats flipping and one of them getting pinned. Thankfully, Mike Danko and one other TCT paddler, whose identity I can't recall, helped extract the pinned kayak.

Mahoning River (Swift Park to Packard Park, September 13) – This trip tied for fewest number of paddlers on a club trip that I experienced since joining TCT in 2008. It had been a rainy Saturday, but Sunday, the scheduled day for the club trip, looked like it was going to be salvageable. Morning skies were threatening and some moderate rain fell at the put in and during the shuttle, but the forecast was for eventual clearing. Only four people showed up, five if we count Bob Danko who came to help with the shuttle but not to paddle! Clearly the rainy weather kept some people away. But in spite of low attendance we had a nice run and it was still a great day to be on the river.

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-27-2016 at 11:44 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
jimbo

Default 2015

We had a excellent year for primitive camping thanks to Jim R's assistance. Great turn out on every trip with good water levels. Looking forward to 2016

Highs

Tionesta Creek-
The shuttle service had a real challenge and it was fun paddling around the fisherman.

Lower Clarion River -
This was a wild trip, very nice.

Allegheny River-
Great summer camping, figured out a short shuttle route. Great campsite with lots of firewood.

Warm Chili Run-
One of the best, great turnout. Lots of very good food.

Lows

Cuyahoga River
The restaurant really stuck it to TCT with its three hour lunch break. I got served glass bottle of beer with a broken top, noticed it before drinking from it.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
mfdanko99

Default My year in review

2015 Paddling review
This past year has been one of the hardest I have ever gone through. I haven’t had much to celebrate this year.
Paddling this year is my saving grace, I had a lot of good side trips on.

Raccoon Creek, Conneaut Creek, Chagrin River, Conewango Creek, Rocky River, Connoquenessing Creek, Tinkers Creek, & Ashtabula River.

Most side trips were on the Cuyahoga River, Grand River, Shenango River. But out of all those rivers I had more side trips on the mighty Mahoning River.

The TCT schedule was really helpful for me, it made me get out of bed and do something besides grieving. These are the TCT paddles I made. I hate to say it but I did miss some.
Before our first paddle I lost my mom March 20th to breast cancer.

So on the 22nd of march having a club trip was a thing of heaven for me. This trip and the people who I paddled with have no idea how much it helped me for a couple of hours.

Mosquito Creek March 22nd was an up and back paddle with strong current to head up stream, but the ride back was nice and easy. Special thanks goes to John Paul Tolson, Rich & Patty Allan, Bruce & Diane Ambrose, Mike Delbenne, Ron Ells, Eric Zamary, my cousin from Tennessee Jacob, and my girlfriend Jessica Hoffart.
For those hours everything felt normal and I can never repay or say it enough, but thank you. Going to dinner after wards was also great to just sit around and talk.

Beaver Creek- what can I say, this is a favorite of mine no matter what, I grew up on this section paddling with my grandfather. It is always a great trip for me and trip down memory lane. ( Just wish we had more water)

French Creek- has its moments as well, first big trip with Jessica, her dog Tori and me in a canoe. I will never forget seeing tori try to run away from the wave at lunch as she slammed into Jessica. Also her trying to tight rope the gunwale of the canoe helping us flip over after lunch, and ken finding my glasses as they floated in the water.

Clarion River- What a blast as we camped in Cooksburg and it rained and rained all night long, But the paddle was so pretty and so isolated, it was fantastic to be with great company and a new river. First time I ever been on the Clarion River. Thank you Rich & Pinky Allan

River Fest- I really enjoy this, it is our one event were we give back to the community and get to show off are river and boats. It is really a fun event and meet so many people who never thought they would canoe or kayak on the Mahoning River
Girard to B&O that was a little different, love the section of river, but having the public come made everything out of control and hard to handle. Then Steve Preston came up with a couple of ideas and it saved the day. Thank you STEVE!!
Trip leader in front, a couple TCT member in the middle and two sweepers at the end at all times. This idea took a lot of stress off of me, knowing I could trust TCT members incase anything happened behind me

Club Picnic- We had to move this back to our home river and held it at Canoe City. We paddled from the Leavittsburg dam to Packard park. What makes this a nice event all the members sitting around and enjoying each other’s company and stories of years’ past.

Cuyahoga River Kent Section- always a blast to do this section. I love the whitewater section through downtown Kent, and this year we had one of our own get stuck but got it taken care of, but JP went out of his way to help another paddler and get him though white water section.
After that clean sailing with very pretty scenic views and a fun paddle.

Cuyahoga River-Hiram Section- Great easy paddle, and using camp Hi was great. The last section of the trip was fun as the current picked up and has two class I rapids. What stands out is the bad service we had at the world famous Iron horse saloon. I don’t think we will eat there again.

Beaver Creek Safety Class- This worked out 10 times better than I ever thought. We had a good turn out and Ron Elles cover a lot of info and had us practicing in a life action moment. It was nice to see senior member and new member working together and helping each other learn. Example JP going over Bow Draw and Reverse Bow Draw in a canoe with me.

FOXBURG- Alleghany River- This isn’t the hardest paddle or the longest, but what makes it fun is the people. We had 40 paddlers, and it gave me a chance to see a lot of new faces and catch up with old ones. Having Matt Brady and his super dog Rogue come up from Harrisonburg VA made the day perfect. As always good food, wine, ice cream and swimming off the bridge abutment is a blast. (PS I know High School Football was about to start )

Buckaloons Alleghany River- Besides getting to paddle a new section of the Alleghany river that took us from Kinzua dam downstream to Buckaloons. Camping with Rich & Patty, Jerry & Billi, Ron, Mary, Eric, & Jessica is what made this trip so special to me. Thank you Rich & Pinky. Happy Anniversary!!!!

River Fest Shenango River- A very pretty section of river with 12 TCT paddlers. I got to meet paddlers from all over and even a group that paddles Niagara River.
Best part was JP, Jim Bozdog, and myself paddling together. Three Canoes that stayed together with great stories.

Deer Creek Reservoir- What made this special for me was paddling the canoe with Jessica, it was nice to work together and paddle through the tunnel of (love) as ken called them. It is so different to paddle through the tunnels. It is something everyone should do at least once!!

Chilly Chili Paddle- Great Paddle with the second Highest turn out of the year. Counting everyone in attendance we were at 40 total members and guest.
26 total boats hit the water on a nice and easy paddle. Always a fun event for me, and I am so thankful that the weather worked out by moving it back a week.

Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-27-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
flagsracer9

Default 2015

2015 Highlights:

5: The New Learned Skill of Controlling my Boat! (without cheating aka: having the skeg down)
-My boat has finally learned to listen to me!!! Or perhaps, I have learned better how to control a whitewater boat. One of the two, I guess maybe the second one. After many, many hours of accidently paddling in circles/sideways/backwards down the river instead of straight, frustrating Mike and myself, and having Ron try to beat boat control into my head-I am finally getting it. I really can go straight!

4: A Not-so-chilly Chili Run!
-I am a freeze baby, so the nice weather made this so much more enjoyable for me!

3: French Creek
-Getting to return to French Creek (my first trip with the club 2.5 years ago) and paddling the canoe with Mike & Tori. Tori has come a long way as captain of the canoe, but she is still convinced that she likes flat water better then waves and rapids. She requests that we avoid waves, but Mike doesn't listen to the request so she is forced to try to out run the wave to the back of the boat which is hilarious most of the time. (see below)

2: Conneaut Creek x 2!!!

-We got to paddle Conneaut Creek twice in one year! Once in the spring with some club members as a side trip and once by ourselves (due to Ashtabula River being too low-after we drove all the way up there). I can't complain at all if Conneaut Creek is the second choice/back up paddle of the day.

1: Thanksgiving Morning on the Grand River.
-Mike and I decided instead of running the turkey trot that we should go for a short paddle Thanksgiving morning before dinner with my family. The Grand was the obvious option due to location, but the "normal" sections were too low. We decided to try above the dam instead. Not only was this a new section of the Grand for me, but it was also a great paddle that challenged us to work together in the canoe to make it thru a couple low, tricky spots. I think we should have a new Thanksgiving Day tradition of paddling together, now I just need to talk him into it.

2015- The Not-So-High-Lights

4: The World Famous Slow Horse Saloon
-Great paddle and really nice shuttle. Not so great lunch stop.

3: Getting to Swim in French Creek
-Remember the comment above that it's hilarious MOST of the time when Tori tries to outrun the waves to the back of the canoe. This is the time it wasn't so much. Swimming in French Creek in May is cold, and almost losing Mike's glasses wasn't good either.

2: Too Wet of Spring then Too Dry Summer

-We went from rivers being too high to run to rivers being too low. We didn't get much whitewater time in this year.

1:Rain, Rain and More Rain on the Clarion Trip
-Thankfully we had a beautiful paddle for this camping trip, but I think that was the only time all weekend that it didn't rain. Luckily Mike likes the water, cause we had our own private beach/lake IN the tent- mostly on his side. He got to swim all night! I guess the waterproofing spray I put on it beforehand wasn't enough, a new tent solved the issue.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flagsracer9 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-28-2015)
Old 01-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
Ambridger

Raccoon Creek Had really been hoping to get on the creek, as it is near home for us, but it seems to be very hit or miss, as was evidenced by the clubs attempt to run this creek. Maybe this year!

French Creek This was an enjoyable trip, and gave us our first taste of really running some waves. Lunch break rapid didn't seem so bad from up on the road, but certainly pushed our comfort limit when we saw it at water level. It was indeed a good experience.

Cuyahoga River We weren't able to make the rescheduled Kent to Cuyahoga Falls run, but had been planning to be there.

Mahoning River The weather and crowd was great at Riverfest, and the trip down the Mahoning was good too. We got to pay-forward our good fortune, in that we were on the sending end of a throw bag this time. We also conquered that little drop just above the B&O - another bit of growth for us. A great weekend.

Cuyahoga River The Camp Hi / Iron Horse trip was tainted by a really long lunch, and we did cut out early - after lunch - due to time constraints, but hopefully we'll get back there some day.

Lake Milton We did a daytime float on the lake, and then enjoy everyones company at the picnic. And, sounds like the night run was a good time as well.

Youghiogheny River We did a little side trip of our own in August; Yough Canoe Outfitters shuttled is up to Whitsett and we floated about seven miles back down to West Newton, with a stop at Cedar Creek Park about half way. This was some of the clearest water I've seen - I swear you could have read a book on the bottom of the river. Average depth around 3 feet, was 90% flat water interspersed by some occasional shallow riffles. We did tip in one of those riffles - about a foot deep, but recovered and enjoyed the rest of the trip. Dinner at The Trailside Cafe, adjacent to the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail, was nice as well.

Allegheny River The Foxburg run was great weather, a great turn-out, and great day on the water with beautiful scenery.

Mahoning River Never would I have expected to be on the water in December, but the "not so chilly" chili run was a treat.

A bit off topic, but some of you are bicyclers too: When we weren't on the water we were on the trails ... cycled Pine Creek Gorge (PA), parts of C&O Canal Trail (MD), parts of Great Allegheny Passage (PA), eastern half of Western Maryland Rail Trail (MD), northern half of W&OD Trail (VA) until heat exhaustion overtook us, Lehigh Gorge State Park (PA), parts of the Montour Trail (PA) and lots of trips on the river trails in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Ambridger; 01-04-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambridger For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridger View Post
Raccoon Creek Had really been hoping to get on the creek, as it is near home for us, but it seems to be very hit or miss, as was evidenced by the clubs attempt to run this creek. Maybe this year!

French Creek This was an enjoyable trip, and gave us our first taste of really running some waves. Lunch break rapid didn't seem so bad from up on the road, but certainly pushed our comfort limit when we saw it at water level. It was indeed a good experience.

Cuyahoga River We weren't able to make the rescheduled Kent to Cuyahoga Falls run, but had been planning to be there.

Mahoning River The weather and crowd was great at Riverfest, and the trip down the Mahoning was good too. We got to pay-forward our good fortune, in that we were on the sending end of a throw bag this time. We also conquered that little drop just above the B&O - another bit of growth for us. A great weekend.

Cuyahoga River The Camp Hi / Iron Horse trip was tainted by a really long lunch, and we did cut out early - after lunch - due to time constraints, but hopefully we'll get back there some day.

Lake Milton We did a daytime float on the lake, and then enjoy everyones company at the picnic. And, sounds like the night run was a good time as well.

Youghiogheny River We did a little side trip of our own in August; Yough Canoe Outfitters shuttled is up to Whitsett and we floated about seven miles back down to West Newton, with a stop at Cedar Creek Park about half way. This was some of the clearest water I've seen - I swear you could have read a book on the bottom of the river. Average depth around 3 feet, was 90% flat water interspersed by some occasional shallow riffles. We did tip in one of those riffles - about a foot deep, but recovered and enjoyed the rest of the trip. Dinner at The Trailside Cafe, adjacent to the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail, was nice as well.

Allegheny River The Foxburg run was great weather, a great turn-out, and great day on the water with beautiful scenery.

Mahoning River Never would I have expected to be on the water in December, but the "not so chilly" chili run was a treat.

A bit off topic, but some of you are bicyclers too: When we weren't on the water we were on the trails ... cycled Pine Creek Gorge (PA), parts of C&O Canal Trail (MD), parts of Great Allegheny Passage (PA), eastern half of Western Maryland Rail Trail (MD), northern half of W&OD Trail (VA) until heat exhaustion overtook us, Lehigh Gorge State Park (PA), parts of the Montour Trail (PA) and lots of trips on the river trails in Pittsburgh.
Looking to do some road biking this year. Thanks for the bike trip locations, I will check them out!
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
KenM

Default Ken & Cheryl 2015 Year in Review

Ken & Cheryl 2015 year in review

Well, I finally got around to looking over my paddling records for 2015. Cheryl and I got out on the water quite often this year. We are fortunate to have several nice lakes fairly close to home so can make some short trips to explore the nooks and crannies for wildlife or just enjoy the sights. And while we enjoy the flatwater and marshes we still like a nice river trip too. We are not whitewater paddlers but managed enough wave action this year to have gotten a couple lap-fulls of water.

For 2015 I got out (8) times with TCT. Cheryl missed the first two paddles waiting for a foot fracture to heal. I enjoyed the April Tionesta Creek overnight... good water, good weather, and my first overnight trip with my Hurricane to test it loaded with gear. It handled well. Later in August, K & C also did the Allegheny overnight which was also a nice trip. The French Creek was also new water for me. Other outings were the Cuyahoga R from Tannery and the upper section from Eldon Russel Park, Lake Milton Moonlight, Deer Creek Res, and the Mahoning Chilly Run.

Some of our own notable highlights...

____On a short paddle at Walborn Res. to see if we could locate a fox den we had noticed (on a winter hike on the ice) we did find it and it was being guarded by two fox pups. They watched as we drifted close and then barked at us before running inside.
____On a mid-June paddle at Nimisila Res. we got very close to a loon! What was it doing here?
____In mid-July we got in a nice 14 mile paddle on the Clarion R. A couple of days earlier all of the liveries had been closed do to high water.
____Trying to get "points" for our Paddle Ohio pins we did an eight mile paddle on the Black River (Lorain, Oh). This from the Black River Wharf up to French Creek and back. Partly this was an old, heavy industrial area and we didn't expect much, however, passing by old derelict, rusting steel mills and volcanic looking slag piles was like being in some apocalyptic movie. It turned out to be an interesting trip. And there were lots of birds in the natural areas.
____In Sep. we did a 6 mile trip on the Muskingum River with ODNR. The highlight here was going through Lock #5. An experience with the water going down 10 feet and the gates leaking water. This was something we would have not done by ourselves.
____Mid-Nov. we got in an un-expected afternoon on the Grand River with cool, crisp, sunny weather and with a good water level.
____We finished the year on 12-24-15 with a paddle at Walborn Res. The carp were still active and thumped into our kayaks in the shallow water. And a number of large bass jumped close by us. I guess the water was sitll warm.

For a vacation in the end of Sep. into Oct. we made a loop from central Kentucky west to n.w.TN, a bit into eastern Missouri and ended at the very southern tip of Illinois. We did a few hikes and of course took our kayaks along. We had a few memorable moments (besides having our van get broad-sided by a bass boat). Ugh!

____We paddled a bit on the Green River in Mammoth Cave N.P. This was flatwater with a slow current. I saw several 3 ft+ Gar lounging in the clear water and a squirrel that was out for a swim across the river. And yes, the river really is green.
____We stopped at Reelfoot Lake in n.w. TN. Reputed to be very scenic with cypress trees and marshes. It was extremely windy while we were there. Whitecaps on the lake. Eventually we did get a paddle on the canoe trail but by this time of year it was choked with weeds.
____Over in the eastern edge of Missouri we stopped at Mingo NWR. There is a 5-6 mile canoe trail there along the Stanley Creek and several connected drainage canals, now abandoned. Had a nice tour and would be a great place in season for birds.
____Our last stop for hiking and paddling was in the very southern tip of Illinois in the Cache River NWR area. This is the most northern of the cypress swamps in the country. Some areas here are very primeval with large cypress and tupelo trees in a sea of duck weed. There is a 6 mile canoe trail through the swamp that we had often talked of paddling. It was during a paddle here that we (Cheryl in particular) had our first experience with the jumping Asian Silver Carp! Most memorable! But that will have to be another story by itself.

Ken and Cheryl 2015
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (01-11-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

High Points for the year.

Raccoon Creek - 3X -Dianne and I love this creek. It was great to get some club members on it. It's like 3 different creeks in one. The scenery and the rapids at the lower end are just great. Our last trip was in December. I may have to develop a phone call list for members who want to run this when the water level right. It's tough to get on.

Cuyahoga River - 2X - Love the whitewater on this river. The club trip on July 19 was a blast. Great current and a lot of fun.

Beaver Creek - 2X - Once with the club and once with Ed on a side trip. We went trough Eagle Rapid and finally made it without getting stuck. But our canoe was filled with water.

The Middle Yough -2X- Love this one also. Dianne and I plan on making this a yearly vacation trip. I hope to try the Lower Yough some day in our canoe, but my canoeing partner (Dianne) refuses.

Beaver Creek Safety Class - It was a great learning experience and I am really glad we attended. A big thanks to Mike and Ron!

Riverfest - It's nice to give back to the community and put a smile on people's faces.

The Conoquenessing Creek - From Zelienople park to Route 588. (4 mile trip) My brother (Brian) and I did this when he came up from Texas this summer to visit. This was nothing great to me, but boy did he enjoy it. And that's what made it fun.

Chilly Chili Paddle - Great people, great turn out, great food.

Last edited by brucea; 01-13-2016 at 10:31 PM.
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brucea For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (01-14-2016)