Old 01-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Asian Carp in YOUR Canoe! ...or Kayak!

Asian Carp in YOUR Canoe! ...or Kayak!
Coming to a river near you!

A story by Ken (and Cheryl)

For a vacation at the end of Sep. into Oct. we made a loop from central Kentucky west to n.w.Tennessee, a bit into eastern Missouri and ended at the very southern tip of Illinois. We did a few hikes and of course took our kayaks along. We had a few memorable moments (besides having our van get broad-sided by a bass boat) !!

Our last stop to paddle was in the very southern tip of Illinois. This area was once extensive bottomland hardwood and swamp forest. Only remnants of the original forest remain after decades of timbering and attempts to drain it. There are still some nice pockets of the original cypress and tupelo swamps. These are the most northern of all the cypress swamps in the country. Here in the crotch of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers is the Cashe River National Wildlife Refuse.

We had been in this area several years ago to hike and discovered that there was a 6 mile canoe trail through part of the swamp. Very primeval looking. We have often talked about going back to paddle. This year we finally made it.

The day we were there Illinois Fish and Wildlife was having an event for a bus-load of eighth graders. Half would go to the visitor center for a program and the other half would go on a guided paddle in the swamp in canoes. The first group had just returned as we unloaded our kayaks. We carried our boats down the ramp stepping over canoes. Surprisingly, in one of the canoes was a really big silver fish. A bit bruised up and bleeding but still moving. A rather heavy fish around 20 pounds and at least two foot long. I couldn't imagine what or why it was there so before we launched I walked back to the group and found the trip leaders. I asked how that fish got in the boat. They told me it jumped in! I laughed but they didn't. They proceeded to tell me it was an Asian Silver Carp. It jumped into the canoe and they had to whap it a few times with a paddle to keep it from hurting someone. They were not allowed to release it. They also told me that we would probably see them if we were paddling. I wasn't sure if I should tell Cheryl what I had heard...but I did.

We launched and following the trail markers made our way through the swampbush and cypress trees though a green cover of duckweed. Very interesting. We paddled along past cypress trees with massive trunks. Every once in a while there would be a swirl in the duckweed as some fish turned and swam away. As we were paddling along I heard a loud scream behind me and as I turned to look there several large "flying" fish all around Cheryl's kayak. Some were four foot or more out of the water and were leaping in maybe 10 foot long arcs. I saw one crash on Cheryl's bow and another that landed on the stern. Another rammed the side of her boat just as it started to jump. These fish were all about two foot long and heavy. Frightening for me and I was probably thirty feet away! And then it was quiet again. It all happened so fast I didn't even think about a photo. After a few moments for Cheryl to regain her composure we resumed our paddle. The rest of the paddle was scenic and uneventful. We got back to the launch, loaded up and headed for home, about 600 mile away.

We started to realize that we were only about 5 miles or so from the Mississippi River. We know that the Silver Carp is there but it never came to mind that they are also in every river and creek that flows into the Mississippi. And the Missouri. And the Ohio. All I seem to ever hear about is the problems in the waterways near Chicago and how close the Silver Carp are to Lake Michigan. With some quick research I find that these invasive fish are pretty close to home now. Although there have not been actual sightings, Researchers use a type of DNA tests (eDNA) to sample for their presence. I've read that positive test results have come from the Muskingum R. almost up to Zanesville. If they get to the Tuscarawas it's a short distance at Akron to the Lake Erie watershed. And for our PA paddlers there have been positive tests in the Ohio R. near the Beaver Creek at Aliquippa, Pa. That's 30 miles north of the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers.

I've seen some video's on Youtube with the flying carp. Some are interesting...even amusing. After our personal encounter with these fish I am no longer amused. Imagine getting one of these 20 pounders in your canoe or kayak or even getting hit with one. It would not be a good day. -KenM

ps... For your further amusement look at the Cache River photo album.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
JPTolson

Very disconcerting to think that Asian carp could shortly be in some of the waters that we paddle. I wonder how high a dam is necessary to keep them from working their way upstream when factoring high water flows, etc. Thanks for posting.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
mfdanko99

Talking

Amazing to know people you have ran into them, Sure hope they don't find our rivers.
Also Nice pictures Ken
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote