Old 01-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
gonegonzo

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default I'm Comming Back

WOW , It's been a toooooo long hiatus . Due to health issues I've been out of commission for the last 6 years . Now , with light at the end of the tunnel , I'm happy to say I'm coming back to the sport .

I was heavily involved in Canoeing back I the 1970's to 1990's and occasionally up until 2010 . Even though I'm not the drop of a hat /ready to go person I once was , this year will break the hiatus and I'll go as much as I can.

I live in Wellsville , Ohio . I'm about 7 miles from the west fork of Beaver Creek . I've canoed all sections of Beaver Creek since the 1970's . There are many trips on the creek that the average persons aren't aware of including a couple of 2 day trips .

Besides Beaver Creek I also heavily canoed many small streams in Oh. Wv. and Pa. that many wouldn't know was there . Also included are the Clarion , Allegeheny , Toby creek , Susqauhana , Yellow Creek , Smoke Hole Canyon and even a trip to BWCA back in the 90's .

Well , enough of the I've been there / done that . I'm just happy to say that as soon as weather permits , I'm digging my Old Town Discovery out of the weeds and repairing / replacing the thwarts and hoping the the Discovery material isn't damaged .

As soon as possible (50's and sunny to start) I plan to reinitiate my trips while still able . I'm 65 , retired and coping with old age setting in ( bad feet and A-Fib) . I'm ready to live life to the most fullest as much as I can.

One trip still is on my mind and has been for years . HAS anyone been on Mill Creek from Western Reserve Rd to Rt. 224 ? It looks to be a sleeper .

I hope to see you on the river .

Tom DeLauder Sr. / aka Gonzo
gonegonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
One trip still is on my mind and has been for years . HAS anyone been on Mill Creek from Western Reserve Rd to Rt. 224 ? It looks to be a sleeper .

I hope to see you on the river .

Tom DeLauder Sr. / aka Gonzo
I'm not sure if I have the time and distance completely correct, but one of our members did that section of Mill Creek a number of years ago and said it took him eight hours to go five miles due to all the wood across the creek.

How high in the watershed have you paddled the Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek? I would like to go from Route 165 to Route 62, from Route 62 to Route 14, and from Route 14 to Teagarden one of these days, but my guess is that these runs would be strainer fests.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
gonegonzo

Thx JPT for your reply .

I thought that might be the case with Mill Creek .

I've done the Middle Fork from Franklin Square to the Ohio River . I've never been on it above that . Is there a way to scout the above runs you mentioned from a road ?

Where does Beaver Creek intersect with Rt.#165 ? That is new territory for me as well . Strainer Fest is almost a given for anything less than 30 feet wide . If you break that down though , it might be doable from Rt#165 to Rt.#62 , from Rt.#62 to Rt.#14 and finally Rt.#14 to Teagarden making it on 3 different days . That might ease the tension of dealing with the strainers and making it floatable . Also , it would be a water permitting trip .

Of course I haven't been out in several years but I will say : Let me get my feet wet and I might just join you on that expedition .

Keep in touch with this ,

Gonzo
Old 01-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
JPTolson

Beaver Creek crosses Route 165 north of Salem, east of Goshen Road and west of Route 45.

The upper two sections are only scoutable at bridges/road crossings. Google Maps could be a help. Part of the stretch from Route 14 to Franklin Square can be scouted from the road. I'm aware of at least four low-water bridges (two are on the Solomon's Mine and Scrapyard property) in this section that could be hazardous at flows high enough to run this which I estimate to be five feet on the Grimm's Bridge gage. The current is fairly strong at this level at Route 14 and there are likely to be few or no eddies from what I can see. Also, for full disclosure, these three runs were the recipients of mirex runoff from the Nease Chemical plant in the 60s/70s.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
gonegonzo

JPT ,

My curiosity is struck . I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in that area .

Besides the low-water bridges , other hazards might be present in and around that scrap yard . Also , would there be a trespass problem ?

That mirex is raising it's head again . I think it's all over the middle fork but we will never know . Any who had contact with that section has been exposed. So far , it hasn't effected me . I probably would have had a third eye strting to develop anyway .

Gonzo
Old 01-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
JPTolson

Good point regarding potentially hazardous items in the stream near the scrapyard. Could check near the two bridges at low water. It appears to be all private land on these stretches, so trespassing could be an issue...something to check out.

The stretch from Route 62 to Route 14 goes through the Egypt Road wetlands. This area was once proposed for a reservoir that would serve as a source of drinking water for Youngstown. The creek crosses Route 165 for a second time along this segment of the creek.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
gonegonzo

I knew of the swampy area on Egypt Rd but I didn't realize it was beaver creek . That area alone intrigues me just because of it's semi remoteness .

Is that upstream of the scrap yard ?

Is there a take out before the scrap yard if needed ?

I'm always interested in exploratory trips .

Gonzo
Old 01-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
JPTolson

Beaver Creek also passes under this area's Cry Baby Bridge on this section. The Egypt Road wetlands are upstream of the scrapyard. Taking out at Route 14, downstream of the wetlands and upstream of the scrapyard, could be a problem because of the current speed at floatable levels, lack of eddies, and somewhat steep cemented bank on river left near the most obvious parking area. I need to study the access situation in more detail.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
mfdanko99

Default Glad To Hear

It is good to hear of another Canoer join us.

I do envy you for living so close to Beaver Creek. I have done many parts of Beaver Creek.
Main Fork - Lisbon to Ohio River
North Fork - Darlington PA to Fredericktown
West Fork - Steubenville Pike Rd to State Park.

A goal of mine is to run the west fork again this year. Last time I did was 2014.

Hope to see ya soon
Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #10
gonegonzo

Mike and JTP ,

Thank both of you for the warm welcome . I see both of you are no strangers on Beaver Creek .

On the Steubenville Pike put in you can add about 6 miles to it from upstream . Also JTP is exploring another I would estimate 12-15 miles up stream from Lisbon .

I'm anxious for Spring to break .

Gonzo