Old 02-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Club Radios

Greetings,

There was a brief mention at Sunday's meeting about the radios that the club purchased (Motorola MS350). I have an older pair of Motorola radios that I no longer maintain a license for. I took a look to refresh myself with the "rules". Below are some excerpts concerning range and licensing that I thought might be helpful.

================================================== ==
Radio range

____from Motorola....How far can I expect my radios to communicate?
The communication range quoted is calculated based on an unobstructed line of sight test under optimum conditions. Actual range will vary depending on terrain and conditions, and is often less than the maximum possible. Your actual range will be limited by several factors including, but not limited to: terrain, weather conditions, electromagnetic interference, and obstructions.

____video from Motorola explaining radio range

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en...radios_general

* In a deep winding river valley radio range could be in the range of .5 to 2 miles. Every river will be different. I noted in the video the presenter said that increasing the transmitting wattage will not increase your range but might help the clarity of the message.

================================================== ===
Radio license

___Per the manual for the Motorola MS350.....
Channels 1-7 broadcast at 1.5 watts____(GRMS channels) * Legal use of channels over 0.5 watts requires a license.

Channels 8-14 broadcast at 0.5 watts____(Family Radio Service, FRS) * no license required

___from wikipedia.....
Hybrid FRS/GMRS consumer radios have been introduced with 22 channels, instead of the 14 channels associated with FRS. On this type of radio, transmitting on shared FRS/GMRS channels 1?7 requires a license if using more than 0.5 watt. Channels 8?14 are strictly license-free FRS channels. Transmitting on GMRS-only channels 15?22 requires a license. It is the responsibility of the radio user to read and understand all applicable rules and regulations regarding GMRS. These hybrid radios are often referred to as "bubble pack" radios, since they are often packed in a plastic shell, for hanging on a display shelf. The massive sales of these radios have led to the term "bubble-pack pirates", persons who use GMRS without a license.

*ken comment
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
Ambridger

I make a motion that we all wear eye patches and become canoe pirates!

Last edited by Ambridger; 02-23-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
mfdanko99

Talking

First I want to say thank you to ken and stan.
I haven't opened them up to check them out but will be doing so soon.

I second the motion to be canoe pirates!!!
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote