Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
onbohio

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Help With Buying a Kayak

So I'm thinking I'll have enough left from Uncle Sam to get a kayak this year. No more than $500.00. Suggestions???
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
jimbo

Try before you buy
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
onbohio

I was in Mike's a couple years ago. But so far that's about it. Maybe I'll go and rent one from Ray. I want to get something good for rivers, but not a swifty (I think that's what they're called).
Old 02-10-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
jimbo

Dealers have spring outings by water were you can try boats. It?s all about what you are looking for, stability or speed. As you know the longer and narrower the boat the faster it will be, but not as stable. Mike has a great boat, I like that model.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
cmille2195

Default daggar zydeco 11 foot

Daggar zydeco 11 great seat ,dry compartment , Backcountry on sale 439.20 free shipping no taxes. That will leave you enough extra money for a quality neoprene spray skirt, go thru. Bill me later, 6 months same as cash.
cmille2195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
onbohio

I like the idea of trying them out at a dealer by the water. Got any names? I know there's one in PA cant remember the name.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
cmille2195

Ore, has demo days every Friday out at Berlin Lake you need to paddle in a river, plus rapid like setting to get the true feel of a boat, but no dealer is going to let you do that.
cmille2195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
flagsracer9

Mike's dad has a shorter version of the one Chuck suggested. It's a 9'(?) Dagger Zydeco. I have used it several times. It is really comfortable and handles well. I took it thru some smaller whitewater rapids and on flatwater. It's not technically for whitewater, but handles well enough to get thru smaller stuff. I did class 1 & 2 rapids in it & had no problems(well boat-caused problems). The shorter version doesn't have a dry compartment though. It wasn't quite as stable as Mike's Swifty, but pretty close. It turns much easier then the swifty though. I really like it, you can ask Mike, I was constantly asking to take it instead of the Swifty after using it the first time. If you are looking for straight flatwater, it's probably not the fastest boat out there but I have no trouble keeping up in it either. I just bought my Ethos from ORE(Outdoor Recreational Equipment) in Boardman/Youngstown & they were wonderful to deal with! (330) 782-2004 I know they sell & carry Dagger products. If you want something not in stock, they will order it. I got the call today that mine is in, and I ordered it exactly 2 weeks ago.
Jessica
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
mfdanko99

Again it all depends on what you paddle the most. For lakes and open water, Narrow and long gives you speed for big water. Less stable'

River Rec boats are medium length with a nice withs to be more stable.

I would try as many as you can tom. I have four different styles of kayaks you can try. Also other member have boat I am sure you can try.

A good boat that has proven it self to be is the dagger zyado and what chuck paddles dagger axis.

Any question give me a call tom, I can bring all my boats and have you try them.

Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
mfdanko99

ALso look at Pereception Kayaks, I paddle the 14ft Carolina same with jim.
another member simon as the 12 carolina.

I for a boat the is cheaper, it is a great steal is the pereception swifty.9.5 I know you might not like it at first but she grows on you. I it slower on flatt watter, turns realy good and can get you threw most rapids up to a class II+ with out any trouble. I have had mine over 10 years and she still floats and great starter kayak.

Also many new member are getting whitewater crossover kayaks.
Carey has a Liquid Logic remix 10
Denise has liquid logic remix 9
another member as the Jackson Rogue 9
another has the Pryanha Fusion
Jessica & I have the Wavesport Ethos 10.

IN case you want to do some whitewater and flatt water.

Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote