Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
EAR

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Pine Creek Trip

I am planning a trip to Pine Creek, the Grand Canyon of Pa., for the days of April 17, 18 and 19. Tenative plans are to drive up on 17th (it's about a 4.5hr drive for me) and check in to our camp or whatever. More on lodging later. Might drive to a couple of scenic over looks and then later find a local tavern for "river info" and a burger. On Friday we can run the the gorge 17 miles to Blackwell. A fun trip if water isn't low. Will be using Pine Creek outfitters to shuttle us up, for a fee of course. On Saturday we can do the 8 mile section on the upper Pine from Gaines to the public access area. We will try to do the shuttle ourselves. Leave for home Saturday afternoon.
Of course you know me. I'm trying to do this on a low budget. Tent camping would be cheap, but I have found a couple of cabins reasonable. If we get 5or 6 people to split cost it might not be bad. A couple of motels in the area too. If you would like to do the cabin thing, let me know soon. I'll need to call to reserve. Campsites shouldn't need as much lead time.
For more info go to pinecrk.com

Last edited by EAR; 03-09-2014 at 12:50 AM.
EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

Ed:

Dianne and I will be going with you. We will be taking our pop-up. Sounds like a good time.

Bruce Ambrose
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
Fifthpig

Ed,
I just requested the days off of work, if approved I'll be attending (with tent).

Mike
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
mfdanko99

I also put in for time off work, if I am approved I will be. Maybe with tent or popup.

Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
EAR

Default camping

Bruce and I are thinking about using Canyon Country Campground. They have a few cabins that might work for me. Very basic for up to 4 people. Plus tent sites with or without electric. It would be fun to keep together if we could. Check it out on the area links section at www.pinecrk.com.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
EAR

Default more camping

I have found what I think is a lot better campground for the Pine Creek trip. Kenshire Campground is located near Gaines on Rt. 6 and is right on upper Pine Creek. This will make the second day a lot easier. We will only have to do a quick car shuttle on Saturday morning down to the public launch area and then we can leave right from the camp to start the 8 mile run. No need to pack up all our stuff until we get back. If I get up there early enough on Thursday I may want to do the creek from Galton, about 5 or 6 miles up from camp. It's suppose to have a nice class 2 in it.
Look up kenshirecampground.com. If you tell them you are with the club they will try to group us by a pavillion. I'm going to rent a camper for the 2 nights. $45 + tax/night, and it has heat and electric. Sleeps 2 so I could use a roomie to split costs. Everyone can use the camp showers (but not all at once).
Contact me if you have any questions.
Kenshire phone #814-435-1311
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
jerry lyda

I am interested also Ed . Can you give me a call ? 330-717-4930
jerry lyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
mfdanko99

I am unable to go, Work won't a prove the time off
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Fifthpig

Ed, the only hurdle I have left is to make it through huge production deployment this weekend at work. if it fails I may not be able to go ! Otherwise I plan on going and should be able to leave early Thursday morning (what time did you anticipate getting there? you mentioned potentially doing a portion of the river Thursday if time permits?)). I'll most likely sleep in my tent rather than in the cabin (nothing personal just miss my tent!).

Come'on sunshine and warm weather... I know you're out there, somewhere !!!
Mike D (Fifthpig)
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

Dianne and I made our camping reservations today. Were looking forward to the trip and seeing everyone.

Bruce
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote