Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek

Pick up trip on Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek

Eagleton's Glen to Lisbon (six miles) or Elkton (10-11 miles)

Sunday, April 6, 2014
Meet 11:00 a.m. at Eagleton's Glen Park (or Teegarden covered bridge) on Eagleton Road, just off Teegarden Road. Teegarden Road is off Ohio Route 45 about midway between Salem and Lisbon. When driving north on Route 45, turn left onto Teegarden Road and proceed to Eagleton Rd. If driving south on Route 45, turn right onto Teegarden Road and proceed to Eagleton Road, probably a mile or two. Eagleton Road will be on the left.

Coordinates for the park are: N 40? 49.347 W 080? 49.625

Again, this is an UNSCOUTED trip, meaning that we're not sure about what hazards might be encountered, except for the low head dam at Willow Grove Park which has to be carried.

I expect we will have 9-12 inches of water.

This is probably not a good trip for beginning paddlers due to the speed of the current on parts of the run and cold water temperatures.

Questions: 330-337-7752 or email john.paul.tolson@gmail.com

See you on the river!

jp
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
mfdanko99

Unhappy

I wish I could come but getting my taxes done this mornings,,, rats
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
JPTolson

A small contingent from TCT enjoyed a beautiful day on the middle fork of Little Beaver Creek from Eagleton's Glen to Elkton. Ron Eells, Bruce and Diane Ambrose, and I ran what appears to be an infrequently paddled section of LBC. With the heavy rain on Thursday, I thought we would have close to a foot of water, but we had only about two to three inches. So it appears that paddling zero for this section is somewhere around 4.8 to 4.9 on the East Liverpool gage.

We had a good current most of the way with lots of class 1 rapids and twists and turns in the creek to keep us on our toes. There were three carries, one around the dam at Willow Grove Park upstream of Lisbon and two around trees in the water.

A low railroad bridge crosses the creek in Lisbon. This could be a serious hazard if one is paddling this section with a couple more feet of water, but it presented no problems today.

The upper four miles had the most uninterrupted nice scenery. There were LOTS of kingfishers along the entire trip and LOTS of great blue herons on the upper stretch, no doubt residents of a heron rookery that we came upon with about 20 nests at one spot. A few areas in and below Lisbon were a little trashy along the banks.

We pulled out at the Elkton access area around 4:00 p.m. after spending four hours on the river, grateful to be putting the winter behind us. We all stopped at Lock 24 Restaurant to re-live the trip, swap paddling stories, and grab a bite and brew. It was a great day to be on the river!

Ohhhhh! I almost forgot, BobK! All boats on the trip were canoes!

Last edited by JPTolson; 04-06-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
mfdanko99

Sounds like you have a great trip JP, and what no kayak for you??

I wish I could have joined in, Jess and I went to Sprucevale and goofed around in the one rapid just to get her some experience.

Look forward to paddling with everyone on the grand
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
BOBK

Where's the pictures JP? Pick an excuse..1. Oh, I forgot my camera. 2. I took some but can't upload them. 3. I took some but they didn't come out. 4. I thought one of the other T-grippers took some. 5. I'll post them at the same time I post the Cuyahoga River canoe pictures. Hope to see you on the Grand so I can harass you even more.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
JPTolson

Better be nice to T-grippers on the Grand, Bob. Last time I looked the trip leader was a open boater who was also supplying the grub and shuttle service!