Old 01-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2014 Review...Ken and Cheryl

When Mr. Tolson posted his year end reveiw on Dec 18 I thought it was possibly a bit premature. Cheryl and I usually don't think about paddling when below 50 deg but on Dec 24 with temps near 50 and without a breeze it was time for one last paddle. We went to Deer Creek Reservoir which is close to home and found calm water with a nice mist crawling in streaks around the lake. We paddled along and through the mist. The quiet was broken a couple of times when we paddled into sections that had a quarter inch of ice. Interesting but a bit hard to paddle through. After about two hours we ended our paddling season.

It was an odd year for us ..life changed. I retired April 30. My mother (94+) started to wear out and required much more attention. I worked long and hard on some (neglected) major yard and building repair projects. But with my now lack of a schedule, we managed to paddle a lot this year.

We paddled most of our favorite lakes here in NE Ohio and also a few rivers. I got in a new section of the Cuyahoga (Mantua to Redfox) and also a favorite of Eldon Russell to Camp Hi. We did a section of the Mohigan (Brinkhaven to Kokosing), a bit of the Mahoning, and a couple of other short creek explortions. We did an overnight trip of 29 miles on the Grand River in early June with spectacular low water levels. We rented canoes rather than beat up our kayaks. This followed last year's 23 mile trip on the Grand.

A major highlight for me this year was the purchase of our new Hurricane Santee kayaks which weigh 10 # less than our first boats. At 38 # loading becomes much easier. There are some drawbacks with these boats but I can live with those.

Cheryl and I only paddled with TCT twice this year: the Mahoning/picnic and Lake Milton. We enjoyed the group and expect to join in more. We are somewhat apprehensive with some river trips. Maybe it's time to clean up my 1971 - 17 foot - 80 pound Grumman whitewater? Not sure now if I can lift it!

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #12
swampboy62

I guess my 'high point' for 2015 would have to be the fact that I got out this year quite a bit more than last year. Nothing like the water-time during my peak paddling years, which took a big hit in 2008 when I started riding mountain bikes a lot more. But I got out something like 18-20 times this year, so I'm kinda happy about that.

Paddled Beaver Creek, Scrubgrass Creek, East Sandy Creek, Clarion River and Slippery Rock Creek this year. Not a huge variety, but some very fun runs.

Not much in the way of low points, with the exception of the shuttle hike back up from Sprucevale to the Mill on Beaver Creek during the height of summer. Never seen Vandergreen Trail in such horrible, un-maintained condition - thanks to the horses riding on the 'hike only' trail. Took well over two hours to hike 3.5 miles. Got lost once. Had nettle welts all over my legs and arms by the time I got done. Yeah, THAT wasn't any fun...

I hope to get out more this year. I've been really missing a couple of the Allegheny gorge creeks, and with cooperation from the rain clouds this I'd really like to get back on some of these gems.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swampboy62 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (01-03-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
Ambridger

High Points: We had a rather enjoyable float down the Kiskiminetas River near Leechburg, PA. Also did the Beaver River from the launch at New Brighton down to the Ohio River - and back, got up to Pymatuning Lake, and Raccoon Creek State Park Lake as well.

Looking Forward To: Youghiogheny River between Connellsville and West Newton. Bicycled along this section and looked like a nice flat water paddle. I would also like to explore Raccoon Creek if there are others willing to lead the way, it's near-by and I know the area pretty well, but not the creek so well. Also, certainly hope to get to more TCT events....

Low Points: Only made it to the Picnic Paddle. And lowest - going for a swim in a high running Shenango River.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambridger For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (01-05-2015)