Old 09-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
Tim H

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Wet Suit suggestions

I have a birthday coming up (not mentioning how many years it has been) and am thinking of getting a wet suit. Any suggestions on which type to get (shorties, farmer johns, full), thickness and where to go? I have looked online some but would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
Ambridger

I got a dry suit last year from NRS. It was an older model that was being discontinued in favor of the next years version of the same suit. I felt I got a pretty good deal. Check their site, as I have seen similar bargains in the past. Sizes may of course be limited in discontinued items.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
JPTolson

I've mostly used a 3mm farmer john. I prefer the front zip up to the ones that fasten with a velcroed shoulder flap (not sure if those are still made.) I'd be tempted to try a full size that has the 3mm neoprene in the body and 2mm in the sleeves, but I don't know how restrictive it might be for paddling. Maybe If you could find a 2mm top and try it on, it might give you some idea. To me a shorty defeats part of the purpose of wearing a wetsuit since most of the time leaving the boat (non flip situations) involves only feet and legs in the water. A full-length wetsuit also provides some level of protection against scraping legs on rocks and, for me, provides a little cushion when kneeling in the canoe. My $0.02.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wet suit