Old 11-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
EAR

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default YSU Membership

I have a little more info about YSU involvement and the 50 memberships that Joel Beeglhy mentioned to me last month. I spoke briefly with the director of Adventure Recreation at the new Andrews Rec. Center. Here is what YSU has: They have 26 kayaks, 9ft , with paddle and PFD for each. They have 2 large vans and 2 trailers to transport all that and the students. A certified kayak instructor will accompany on all trips involving students. Students sign participation waivers through YSU. Some students have started pool lessons already. So , it seems like they have everything covered.
But what do they need from us? A schedule mostly. The director said he is not familiar with places to kayak in and around this area and is willing to join the T.C.T. to use our schedule and knowledge of the area. They would need us to create a new type of membership, an Institutional Membership. After we have that, they could generate a purchase order for the membership. The minimum a P.O. can be is for $500, and that is where Joel got the idea that it was 50 memberships.
Now, if I got the gist of what he was saying, because they are making a $500 donation to our non-profit organization ( that IS what we are ), they might like to know what we plan on doing with the money. I have an idea, but that would be a group decision. They would like to set up a meeting and have ( do ?) lunch to discuss this with club reps sometime soon.
So let us know what you think. Some people are already saying to use caution and mentioning liabilty issues without knowing all the facts. This issue comes up every time we want to deal with the community at large, but this seems different than other ventures we have had. Pehaps we should at least meet with them to clear up any issues members might have.
I do have an alternative plan. Do we really need their money and do they really need membership? They could just piggy-back on our schedule. These are public access areas and after a few years they could develop their own schedule. Although I think the instructor might like having a few experienced people around if he or she is out numbered 20 to 1 on an outting. And if there is no financial tie, there should be no liaiblity tie. Is this correct?
Please let us know what you think about this. I may have a special meeting at the Dec.5th run to discuss this issue.
Ed
Old 11-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Paladin1aa

Ed

A few points --

For the meeting, ask them to bring a copy of the waiver. We may require them to add the CLUB to it, since they are seeking "Institutional" membership.Second, any discussion of the money is not relevant -- its not a donation and MEMBERS decide what to do with MEMBERSHIP dues and thats what the money would be. The financial-- liability tie isn't always correct, legally speaking. I would think that a more thorough discussion with reps from both parties is in order. I wouldn't want to pass on the money if they are getting something from the club and looking at it long term, want those students to be prospects for future members of the club after graduation, etc.

Would be willing to attend meeting, if my "schedule" PERMITS (LOL). This is similar to my former job in handling negotiations with schools /Universities . POsition of the club is that whatever is discussed requires an affirmative vote from the club to ratify for an agreement with YSU anyway, if "Institutional" membership( and what that entails) is acceptable to all parties.

Considering the "relationship" that YSU wants may entail the draft of a memorandum of understanding to clear up relationship and questions that are spelled out for both parties.
Paladin1aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
BOBK

An infusion of new paddlers should be welcomed. JohnPaul, Mike, and myself are recent members and have been welcomed with open arms. We should extend the same courtesy to any new members no matter what circumstances they enter on. The addition of probably young first time paddlers would be good for the organization, under member or non-member status. I don't think anyone would mind providing advice to novice paddlers, some of who would probably join us permanently. Enlisting new members is why Ray has one of trips tied to the Mill Creek paddle, (that's how kayaking started for me.) JP and ED will please note: 26 KAYAKS.
As to the liability issue, we may be over reacting. Non-profit status may exclude liability, or their YSU waiver should exempt us, but I'm no attorney. Sounds like they have the transportation problem solved or at least under control.
If we decide to accept membership with the $500.00, we could always donate all or some of the money to a charity, or have one of the participating student paddlers receive a $500.00 (or less) scholarship grant from Trumbull Canoe Trails, both parties benefit.
I agree that we need to discuss this at the Dec. 5th Chilly Chili paddle.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
EAR

Thanks for volunteering Alan. Your expertise in this area would be greatly appreciated if the club decides to go the membership route.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
burrowsj

We could use the money to fix up some of the launch sites or maybe build a pavilion at one of the local parks or donate some picnic tables. Just a couple of ideas.
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
JPTolson

I agree with Bob that we should welcome folks who share a love of the river. Younger blood is potentially a good thing for the club for the vitality and enthusiasm it can bring (not that we don?t have a high level now), and will help to decrease the average age of the membership that took a significant leap upward when Bob and I joined.

I like Johnathan?s public service ideas for use of the YSU membership fee. Another idea is a new sign for Foster Park. The one there now looks like it?s seen better days.

I'm staying out of the liability discussion because I know little about it (and won't dare mention PFDs), but here are some thoughts on the YSU membership-institutional or individual?whatever it may turn out to be when Ed and Alan meet with the YSU rep. And it's great that Alan has this expertise and is willing to help.

1. The size of club trips could possibly get very challenging depending on the number of paddlers, parking availability at put-ins, take outs, and the nature of the run. It might mean that we have to split into two or more groups, meaning we might need two or more trip leaders. Just something to think about and anticipate.

2. It's encouraging to know that there is some type of student instruction going on at YSU by some type of certified kayak instructor. I think we should find out if participation on TCT trips will be limited to students who complete this instruction or will trips be open to others from YSU who have not had it. Also, I would be curious to know the nature of the instruction. Is it flat water instruction only or is there also training in moving water (my guess is not)? While the club trips are not difficult runs, we all know how a pushy current or certain spots can sometimes challenge paddlers, especially new ones. Just think Beaver Creek a couple years ago. We will all have to be more alert to help inexperienced paddlers in this situation, and especially on those early spring runs when the water is cold.

3. Although this may seem to be fretting unnecessarily, overly legalistic or a non issue, it might be good to understand who is in charge of the trip with respect to the YSU students?the YSU instructor or the TCT trip leader.

4. Perhaps another quibbling question, but can we expect to use the YSU vans to haul TCT boats and people and vice versa.

My biggest concerns are the moving water question?whether the students will have had any experience with it and whether they will have the proper clothing/gear for it, especially when the water is cold.

There are likely other questions as well, but these are the ones that first come to mind.

And by the time those kids see a few canoes on the trips, you can bet they?ll be ready to ditch those kayaks.

jp
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
EAR

Mike Bowman of Adventure Recreation at YSU will be at our January 9th meeting at Frankie's. Please write down and bring with you any questions or concerns you might have about them joining us.