Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default The scouting trip 5-24-18

The scouting trip 5-24-18

K & C took a ride over to Teegarden and down to Lisbon on Thursday afternoon. Grimms gage at noon was 589 (3.99 ft) and declining slowly.

A lovely summer afternoon with sun, shade along river, quiet except for singing birds. We found the creek inviting.

The creek at Teegarden had a decent flow of water. There were nice stretches of knee deep pools and then shallow gravel bars... typical of the stretch down to Lisbon. It appeared to us that you could find a shallow channel through some gravel bars but others may need to be walked through. Gravel is maybe egg-size or smaller so not hard to walk on. I would say a smaller (10-12 ft) boat would be more suitable because of some tight turns. You may make it through some gravel with some scrapping. Some you will walk. The longest bar that we could observe was just downstream of Willow Grove Park, almost under RT 30, where I think the dam had been. This is about .5 mile from Lisbon takeout and, as noted earlier, that short bit of river is not quite so attractive as upstream. From roads and bridges we did not observe any log jams.

If I would have had a ride back from Lisbon (and a boat) I would have wore some river-walking shoes and launched my 10 ft kayak without much thinking. By Saturday morning... not so sure what it may look like if water came down very much. Like here though, the ground is currently soaked from rain and still draining from woods and farmland so hard to say.

Ken

Last edited by KenM; 05-25-2018 at 05:37 PM.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #12
JPTolson

Default Trip Report

Here is the trip summary on the Columbiana County Park District FB page. The gage was around 3.5 ft. and flow about 375 cfs.

Columbiana County Park District

We walked more than we might have liked due to low water but the Columbiana County Park District's first Kayak and Canoe Trip down the Middle Fork of the Little Beaver Creek was a success. We put in at the Covered Bridge on Eagleton Road and rode the creek down to Lisbon's canoe area by the PL&W railroad station. With bright sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-80s, what wasn't there to enjoy?
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
KenM

I don't "do" facebook but I saw the report.

The office gave me the supposed coordinator's phone number. I called 8:15 a Sat morning to see if they were still doing this. No answer, left message but no call back. Looks like 6 people...I guess it was a private party not a public event. Boo on Columbiana County for posting this.

I guess I'm spoiled by an organized club.

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
JPTolson

Default Painted Gage Would Help

This is a situation where a painted gage on a bridge abutment would be very useful. Since the gage is probably 15-20 miles downstream, the river at Teegarden could already have dropped to below paddling zero by the time the gage reading reaches what might be considered the minimum runnable level. And vice versa–the river at Teagarden could be runnable before enough water reaches the gage to achieve the so-called minimum runnable level. Of course all of this depends where the rain falls in the watershed.

Last edited by JPTolson; 06-04-2018 at 03:48 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote