Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Connoquenessing Creek 5-12-12 report

On Saturday Matt Brady, Chuck Miller, Jonathan Burrows & Mike Danko got a great trip down the Connoquenessing Creek. Started at Rail Road tracks on South River rd to Rock Point Boat Club. About 6 miles of class II & III rapids with a couple of flat spots that still had nice current.

I know now why Debra loves this section, it is true white water that I can only come compare to beaver creek of 2011.
My count may be off but I count at lease 24 rapids in this section and it was a blast.

Matt lead the way and Paddle in his Liquid Logic Little Joe a true white water kayak. Matt allowed me to use his Wave Sport Diesel 65 that is a true river runner white water kayak.(loved it, but a little cramped). Jonathan showed great skill in his Dagger Blackwater 10.5, and so did Chuck on his second trip in his new Dagger Axis 12.5.
I am proud to say no one flipped, chuck and I came close but recovered.

What a great trip, water gauge 2.88 at start.
With lunch and playing around between rapids with seal launches and trying to catch some eddies and some surfing we did it around three hours of pure fun.
Mike Danko

PS I can't wait to go back for some more!!!!!
PSS I got some pictures between rapids, need a helemt cam to show the true fun

Last edited by mfdanko99; 05-12-2012 at 08:48 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
burrowsj

What a great trip with endless fun. I hope to have some good in boat video of some rapids. I'll try to post what I can.It will take a little while.
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
JPTolson

Looks like a blast! I want to go! Any idea of the gage level/flow for paddling zero? About how much water did you have?
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
dakotamakiya

JP, the zero flow according to AWW is 2' and we were at 2.88'. Debra would probably be able to give a true zero. At 2.88' we didn't hit bottom and I would think you could go lower than 2. I'm up for another run anytime.
dakotamakiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
debra witowski

Default Connie

Chuck, you found my ball ! I been working it downstream, I keep losing it. I am glad you enjoyed the Connie. I was paddling Pine Creek through the Pa Grand Canyon.
Canoeable Stream of Western Pa says the 1.7 is the lowest level to paddle but lower than 1.85 or so is not too much fun very scrapey. We Will have to paddle it sometime.
debra witowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
burrowsj

JP,
You would of had a blast.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Jonathan what a picture!! I want to do it again, wonder how my swifty would hold up??
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
burrowsj

Posted some more pictures. They look better full size but you can get the idea...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
pooljunkie1977

Hello everyone!! I was reading this forum and seen someone mentioned Pine Creek. I had the opportunity to paddle Pine Creek early this spring; we launched from Pine Creek Outfitters and finished 29 miles later at Slate Run. The gauge was reading 3.55 feet when we launched, this was probably one of my more favorite trips I've embarked on in the last few years. There are some flat water sections on the creek, but a good deal of swift moving currents too. A few class II rapids and one that borders a Class II+ or maybe even a Class III, depending on the water levels at the time. The biggest reserve I see about the creek is, it's definitely a seasonal paddle, usually spring or after a good rain. I've uploaded a few pictures from the trip I took, to give you a general idea of the beautiful scenery that surrounds the creek.
pooljunkie1977 is offline   Reply With Quote