Old 07-22-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Mahoning River Y-Town

I am changing the paddle for Sunday July 24th.

We will still do the Youngstown Section. We will go 4.75 Miles from B&O to the Bob Cene / Union Street Bridge.

My decision is based off of several factors.
1-They have a Heat advisory for tomorrow.
2-I have talked to several members who I truly value there input.
3-I have to think of every member and there paddling skill. Just like cold water paddles heat paddles have there share of danger.
4-I was on the ACKA (American Canoe & Kayak Association) They mention do to lack of water intake and sweating a lot dehydration.
Heat exhaustion and even heat stroke.
They mention if you aren't conditioned for the hot weather you are more likely to have trouble.

I want to play it safe and hope for a good turn out and have fun with this great section.

It will be a great opportunity for inexperience paddlers to play around with a rapid and get comfortable with some rapid. A chance to feel what is like to flip your boat. Even throw a Throw rope and see that it isn't as easy as many think .
All this can be done at the Cement Wave Train.

All with a group that can help recover and be in a safe environment.

Mike

Last edited by mfdanko99; 07-23-2016 at 07:56 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #2
mfdanko99

Mahoning River: Youngstown Section Trip Leader- Mike Danko
When- July 24th
Where- B & O Station 530 Mahoning Ave Youngstown, OH 444502
GPS 41.102527, -80.657866
Time- 10 AM
Total Distance 4.75 Miles
TCT will head back to downtown Youngstown. We will meet up at the B&O Station and paddle to Bob Cene/Union Street Bridge

This section is made possible by the work of many people. Chuck Miller a former member deserves all the credit. He has put countless hour on making this a great and easier run for less experience. Ed Hahn also deserves much credit as well. In the past couple of years Ed has been Chucks right hand man.
Since our last paddle down this section they have made many changes.
The biggest change is the Struthers damn. It now is a super easy way through. Instead of going river right we will go far river left for a nice flatter passable.
Second big change is Rebar rapid. They have completely cleared out river left and have put up several sign to help guide you through.
I consider this the adventure section of the Mahoning River that offer a lot more action than the upper sections in Trumbull County

List of Rapids in order
1. Marshall St Bridge Rapid -Class I+ or easy Class II Rapid depends on the level.
The trick is to aim for the orange sign on the tree then follow the current all the way out to flat water. There are multiple strong Eddie lines that can flip you if you don’t follow the current all the way out.
2. Cement Plant Wave Train-Class I
Roughly at the 1 ? mile mark is the Wave Train is a fun rapid that many of us will stop and go through several times to play and have fun. A good time to practice a throw rope if you haven’t in the past.

3. Rebar Rapid Class 1+, follow the sign on river left and it is an easy passage.

4. Iron Bridge Wave Train-Easy Class I
Right after rebar rapid we will paddle to river right and ride out this easy class I Ripple/Wave train to a railroad bridge

Hope to see you on the Water.
Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 07-23-2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Change in Paddle
Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
BOBK

Good thinking, Mike. I hope to be there, so here's my 2 cents. It makes sense to shorten the trip and reduce the chance of the heat affecting anyone...especially those of us with a bit of grey hair. And if you post that the trip has indeed been shortened, you may get a little bigger turnout....maybe even a canoe or two.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Mary Kane

I am not in favor of shortening the trip, sorry. It's summertime and we'll be on the water. Also, Chuck Miller posted on facebook we are meeting at 9 at the West Ave. dock?? I do want to paddle but not sure of any details . . .
Mary Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
flagsracer9

Mary,

The Trumbull Canoe Trails trip is meeting at the B&O at 10am. Mike is leading the trip, and that is what he decided was best. West avenue is not as good a location for groups as the B&O as the parking is not the best.

I have no idea why Chuck would post different times & location unless Chuck is leading his own trip the same day with his club? He has a separate club, which I am assuming is what he posted the details for, but not sure honestly.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flagsracer9 For This Useful Post:
Mary Kane  (07-22-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
mfdanko99

Red face Y-town Change

I am changing the paddle for Sunday July 24th.

We will still do the Youngstown Section. We will go 4.75 Miles from B&O to the Bob Cene / Union Street Bridge.

My decision is based off of several factors.
1-They have a Heat advisory for tomorrow.
2-I have talked to several members who I truly value there input.
3-I have to think of every member and there paddling skill. Just like cold water paddles heat paddles have there share of danger.
4-I was on the ACKA (American Canoe & Kayak Association) They mention do to lack of water intake and sweating a lot dehydration.
Heat exhaustion and even heat stroke.
They mention if you aren't conditioned for the hot weather you are more likely to have trouble.

I want to play it safe and hope for a good turn out and have fun with this great section.

It will be a great opportunity for inexperience paddlers to play around with a rapid and get comfortable with some rapid. A chance to feel what is like to flip your boat. Even throw a Throw rope and see that it isn't as easy as many think .
All this can be done at the Cement Wave Train.

All with a group that can help recover and be in a safe environment.

Mike
Old 07-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
LWP

I really wish we could come to this ... we've never done this section. But we'll be out of town ... have fun and try to stay cool!

Lora
LWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
KenM

Default Photos added

A nice paddle with some fun rapids. It turned out to not as hot as I would have suspected. It was really nice of Mike to arrange for some heavy cloud cover at the takeout so we didn't have to load up in a blistering sun. Also good timing...As I drove away the rain started. Five minutes later I almost had to pull over because of the heavy storm/downpour. I had to wonder how the folks that had their boats loaded upright managed in such a heavy rain. Thanks Mike.

I added few photos.

-Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
richpinky

Mike, Great timing !
richpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
suram

Default Fun Paddle...

and the heat wasn't so bad. My boat was upright on the way home and I got a good bit of water- but that just rinsed out the mud Thanks to Mike, Stan, Ron and everyone that worked so hard for the safety instruction. We need to get back to group photos before we set out cause when we're on the water I just get everyone's backs.
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suram For This Useful Post:
Mary Kane  (07-25-2016)