Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Allegheny River Sept 25,2010

Allegheny River Run
Sept.25, 10:00 am
Buckloons Recreation Area
Allegheny National Forest Pa.
Rich Allen 330-542-2891

We will be paddling from Buckaloons to Tidioute about 13 miles, the river averages about 3-4 miles a hour so it will take about 5 hours to do the trip. We will be stopping to rest about every 45 min. Bring a lunch and water. Since this is a long trip we want to launch at 10 A.M. so be at Buckaloons at 9:30 A.M. or earlier.
Those who want to camp, we will be camping Friday and Saturday nights. Anyone who wants to camp, please let us know. We can usually fit two or three tents on each site and then we split the fee of $16-$18.

Directions: Take Interstate 80 east to exit 29, Route 8 north. This road becomes Route 8/62 north to Oil City. When the routes divide, stay on Route 62. Follow Route 62 north through Tionesta and Tidioute and keep going north. When you cross the river, take the road on the left and then turn left into Buckaloon Campground. The approximate time from Youngstown is two hours twenty-five minutes. It is 125 miles.

Buckaloons Recreation Area. Buckaloons lies on the site of a former Native American village, at the confluence of the Allegheny River and Broken straw Creek on the right riverbank. It is operated by the Allegheny National Forest, and has direct river access. The name "Buckaloons" means "broken straw" in the Seneca language, named for the tall grasses that used to prevail on fields around the village. Developed campsites, picnic areas, restrooms, an interpretive trail, pay phone and a boat launch are available at this developed boat access site. The Buckaloons area and historic Newbold Estate to the south are rich in Native American and European settlement heritage, dating back some 12,000 years.
In 1992, three sections of this river trail, totaling 86.6 miles, were designated a component of the Wild and Scenic Rivers System by Congress. This exclusive list of rivers was established to recognize outstanding examples of the nation's free-flowing rivers and to raise public awareness of how important and fragile America's river resources are. The Allegheny was given a "recreational" classification under the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to reflect the relatively high level of accessibility and development, when compared with other rivers in the Wild and Scenic Rivers System. However, the middle Allegheny is still considered a primitive river.
Call Patty and Rich at 330-542-2891 before 9/23
richpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richpinky For This Useful Post:
jerry lyda  (09-27-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
clipper1

Default Allegheny Trip

Will be there, and plan on extending canoe camping trip to Tionesta, fifteen miles downstream. Will be Camping with the club on Friday night the 24th, at Buckaloons, then on McGuires Island in tidioute on Saturday night. Sunday paddling to Tionesta, to sober-up and clean up at the Eagle Rock hotel in Tionesta before driving home on Monday. Just two of us so far, but all are welcome if they would like to extend the trip as well. You may call me at (440) 228-3261 Rich Klasen

Still going, but had to modify plans, leaving home early Saturday am to paddle with the club at 10:00, then camping with the club that evening. Sunday will be paddling to Tionesta from Tidioute to spend Sunday evening at Eaglerock Hotel in Tionesta.

Last edited by clipper1; 09-21-2010 at 07:24 PM.
clipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
EAR

I'll be up on Friday night. I'll be bringing some Strohs beer with me. I would never drink that stuff, but I know someone that would have. I'm going to set a few cans on the table in memory of Tom. This was a run he liked to lead.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
jerry lyda

Default Allegany trip

My wife and I are camping friday and sat. paddling saturday. Are we on our own for food ?
jerry lyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
EAR

Contact Rich and Patty at the above number and ask them. They try to have something for everyone on Saturday night.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
JPTolson

Default Paddling Pix Posted

A few pictures from the Allegheny River Sept. 25, 2010 trip from Buckaloons to Tidioute are posted under User Albums. Many thanks to Rich Allen for leading the trip.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
jerry lyda

Default Buckaloons

thanks to Pinky and Rich for the great trip ! Billie & Jerry
jerry lyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #8
clipper1

Rich & Patty
Thanks so much, had a great time and the best B-day ever, thanks also for feeding me twice. You two are awsome.

Rich
clipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote