Old 06-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default River Fest

River Fest 2022

After several years we will be returning to river fest Presented by Friend of the Mahoning. This is our only public event we will be doing this year and we need as many as members as possible for this event.

Mahoning River Fest-Presented by Friends of the Mahoning
When- Sunday June 12nd
Where-B & O Station 530 Mahoning Ave Youngstown, OH 44502
GPS- 41.10253, -80.65771
Time-River Fest is from 12-5,
TCT will be giving canoe/kayak rides 12:00 -4 or until we get tired!!!

I will arrive no later than 10:30 am to set up and help other unload so we can be ready at NOON
Once unloaded I believe we may still park at the old Mr. Anthony's parking lot or at the WTA

Calling all members & CANOES to help at the annual Mahoning River Fest presented by Friends of the Mahoning.
This is an opportunity to do what the original member of this club wanted to do. Make the public aware of the Mahoning River and how fun it is to paddle.
TCT is able to give the public a quick glance at paddling a canoe or kayak and a quick view of the river. We are to help guide them up stream and back to the B&O dock. We don't need to teach them everything, just keep it VERY BASIC and enjoyable so the public might get interested in the sport.

We have a tried and true system that flows like clockwork and I don't see any reason to make any major chances.
Here is what we need-
1) All Canoes/Two Man Kayaks possible with a member who can control the canoe/kayak with people who might not be as experienced.

2) A total of four very easy recreation kayaks for the public to use/Then four kayaks manned by TCT members to Shadow the public kayaks. (total of 8 kayaks)
Example- Jessica will paddle her Wavesport Ethos kayak, she will guide the public who will be paddling my Perception swifty kayak upstream and back. She can offer help and answer any questions.
When shadowing the public in kayaks always go up stream towards west ave dock. If they are unable to paddle upstream then they can float back to the dock.
Any extra kayaks that show up can be used as displays and to make a path to guide people from our tent to the life Jacket station & to the Dock.
ALL BOATS MUST BE UP TO DATE ON TAGS & NUMBERS

3) Members needed to work our Tent & Life Vest Station & Dock- Dock workers will help load and unload boats and keep the waiting public off the dock until their turn. (aka the Jodi Vallecorsa rule) In the early years of this event we had problems with everyone on the dock and she came up with idea to have everyone wait off the dock for safety

4)Any and all extra Life Jackets we may have. All Sizes for kids and adults(Mark your Name in Each Life Vest so it doesn't get lost!!!)

For members who haven't been to this event this is our system.
1-Public comes to our tent, -Must fill out our Waiver Form, -Must receive a ticket from the tent.(The Ticket allows the life vest station and the dock workers and Paddlers know they have signed the waiver form) (Dock worker or paddler can collect the tickets)

2-Go to Life Vest station-Get fitted for a life vest.(If we don't have a life jacket big enough or small enough for people to wear then they are unable to get into a boat!!!!!)

3-Have the public wait in line by the dock. If possible let's try to see what the public would like to do before they enter the dock. Example a person might be waiting for a kayak but the person behind them is waiting for a canoe ride. A canoe opens up then the canoe rider will go first.

4-Loading Canoe Riders-The Canoeist will have the final say on how many riders they can have in a boat at one time. In past years I have had 1 adult and two small kids as my max. Others might be ok with more or less.

5- Load Kayakers in to kayaks

6-Unload Canoe Riders and Kayakers

7- Have the public return to the Life Vest Station and return the life vest.

Please note-we will always need extra members who can sub in and out of stations to give breaks. Just because you might not be at a station to start the day; please stay and help give breaks during the 4 hour event.

Hope to make this year a success like the past years. Please Text or Call me if you can come 330-766-3129 or email back tctnewsletter@gmail.com
Or post on the website
Mike Danko
Old 06-11-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
mfdanko99

As of Saturday Evening weather forecast doesn't seem great for river fest.
No Matter what the weather is like I will be there between 10 & 10:30 am
Mike
Old 06-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
JPTolson

I’ll be there also, rain or shine.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:11 PM   #4
JPTolson

Default Go Minnie!

Giving canoe and kayak rides to the public at Riverfest always produces its share of surprises and unusual situations. Today I had the honor and privilege of paddling Minnie Wolfe up past the West Avenue dock and back to the dock at B&O Station. Minnie is in her 90s! She didn’t wish to paddle but certainly enjoyed the experience. One gets the impression that Minnie was and still is quite fearless. (I did have to remind her to put her smart phone in her pocket so she would not drop it in the water. Yes, she had a smart phone!) Here are a couple of shots of Minnie and three members of TCT–Ray Novotny, Linda Bowden, and JP Tolson–courtesy of Ray Novotny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE27D4F4-0729-4C5D-BCE4-2BF11F70502E.jpg (62.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1F3221DF-7BFB-40FF-986A-0991F9096AF9.jpg (62.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by JPTolson; 06-13-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Default Trip Review

It turned out to be a wonderful day at River Fest 2022. I need to Thank Friends of the Mahoning for having an online sign up to help work the dock. I counted 9 different volunteers through our 4 and half hours of giving rides.

BIG Thank you goes to all who came to help this event. Lin Bowden & Rae Novotny worked the tent. Patty Allen worked the Life Vest station & Bob K was the dock supervisor.
We had 5 Canoes manned by Ed Rigby, John Paul Tolson "JP", Rich Allen, Steve Preston, & Myself.
We had 1 kayaker guiding the public Jessica Danko.

I know it can be stressful but it does means a lot to the friends and the public. TCT got a lot of recognition on the news and newspapers.
We were able to give 126 rides during the event with Minnie being in her 90's
Jessica had a Student from Mexico (Yes Mexico) that is interning in Ohio.
I had a couple of teens visiting the grandparents from San Francisco & Chicago Area's.

I had several Youngstown Residents on the river for the first time and all had smiles. I did worry a lady from Hubbard as I jumped of the dock to cool off and get back in the canoe. She told Bob K she isn't sure she should go with me :)

Great Day at a great event. We have a rock solid process that works. Thank you again to all who came.
Mike

Last edited by mfdanko99; 06-13-2022 at 07:30 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
JPTolson

Default Lifetime firsts!

One of the interesting aspects of giving canoe rides at Riverfest is that most of those who are lifetime Youngstown-area residents had never before been on the Mahoning River. Most are surprised at how pretty and peaceful it is. For them, it is a real eye-opener.

Giving rides is also an opportunity to deliver a safety message about the dangers of low-head dams and the importance of staying away from them. Nearly all of the individuals who rode with me were unaware of them and the dangers they pose.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #7
trjim

I am regret not being able to attend and participate. I was looking forward to River Fest. I tested positive (possible false positive) for Covid on Friday and was laying low. I had a very mild case (if in fact I actually had it) and already back to full strength.
trjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:45 PM   #8
DustinSW1627

Default Sad to not be there

Sounds like a great time. I am really sad we could not be there. The only French & Indian event we can not miss is Cook Forest which was held at the same time. Hope in the future they will not fall on the same day. Thank you to all that put in the time and energy to be there.
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #9
onbohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTolson View Post
One of the interesting aspects of giving canoe rides at Riverfest is that most of those who are lifetime Youngstown-area residents had never before been on the Mahoning River. Most are surprised at how pretty and peaceful it is. For them, it is a real eye-opener.

Giving rides is also an opportunity to deliver a safety message about the dangers of low-head dams and the importance of staying away from them. Nearly all of the individuals who rode with me were unaware of them and the dangers they pose.
Yes! The best part of this is when people have that same moment I remember having about 10 years ago when I first paddled the Mahoning River. It's like, "Holy #$&@, this has been in my backyard all my life!" 🙂

Thank you to everyone who was able to make it out to Riverfest. The event would not be half as interesting without free canoe and kayak rides. And we have no problem providing some dock help. We will make sure we have volunteers again next year.
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:10 AM   #10
Krisdrlng76

Default Riverfest Promo

Unfortunately I was unable to attend/work at Riverfest this year. I was however able to help FOTMR promote the event at the B&O spring night market the Thursday before. We spoke to the public about the Riverfest and the chance to actually Kayak/canoe on the Mahoning courtesy of TCTC. We sold tshirts and tickets for the kayak raffle, gave out stickers, and information about FOTMR and informed
the public about TCTC and what to be aware of kayaking on the Mahoning. There was a photo album with some great pictures of past Riverfests and our members hard at work giving the tours on the River. We also spoke to many of their current members and reminded them to come out to help with the event.
Without the public- the event would not be a success.
Next year, maybe we could have some TCTC information and applications at the Market for those who may not be able to make it to Riverfest but want the chance to paddle with a group.
Thanks to all the club volunteers who helped out this year and in the past!

Last edited by Krisdrlng76; 06-19-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Krisdrlng76 is offline   Reply With Quote