Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Weekend paddling

Looks like Venango, Clarion, Butler etc counties got over an inch of rain in the last 24 hours. Forecasts call for significant rain there tomorrow, and more rain over the weekend.

So I'm watching gauges and precip maps in hopes of getting on some easy whitewater this weekend. Deer Creek or Toby Creek would be the best case scenario, with East Sandy Creek as the fall back. Of course rainfall could end up being way too little (or way too much) and totally change the outlook - and that's why these trips are so 'last minute' to get together.

I'll try to post plans as they develop.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
swampboy62

The forecast has changed and it's not looking too likely for this weekend. Maybe Monday but I don't think I can get off work then.

Steve Z
Old 07-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
swampboy62

Well, the weatherman is doing it again. The forecast calls for 4 days of rain covering the weekend.

I'm not sure that this will be big enough of a rain event to bring up the little creeks. But maybe East Sandy will run, which would be good enough. Or upper Beaver Creek, like from Lusk Lock down to Sprucevale. Depends on how much rain actually falls.

At the very least (if it rains) I'd like to get down to Beaver Creek and hike up the 1/2 mile from Sprucevale to surf the wave there. Might take a saw and see if I can clean up the tree that's blocking the eddy there too.

I'll post up if I head out. Paddlers with adequate skills and equipment are invited to come along.

Steve Z
Old 07-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
swampboy62

It's starting to look like another disappointing rain event.

Precip is gone from Saturday's forecast now. And the path of today's rain is more to the south of us.

Best guess now is maybe Beaver Creek surfing tomorrow early - IF the rain delivers enough water to bring the gauge back up to around 1000 cfs.

For those not familiar, there is a nice easy surfing wave 1/2 mile upstream from the Sprucevale parking area on Little Beaver Creek. It's about a 10 minute carry up the trail to the spot. This is a great spot to learn to surf, as it (normally) has great eddy service and has no hazards downstream. Right now there is a tree in the eddy that makes it a bit harder to access the wave, but it's still do-able. Plus I hope to prune that tree back a bit in order to improve the situation. I'm trying to get used to a 'new' boat, so I'm probably looking at a half hour surf session.

Here's a vid of the wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25hB0DjwK40

I'll post up in the morning if it looks like a go.

Steve Z
Old 07-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
swampboy62

Rain appears to be done for the most part, and there definitely wasn't enough to bring up Beaver Creek.

Only possibility remaining now is if Slippery Rock drops a bit by Sunday, and I manage to get a shuttle partner to get in a lower Slip run. This is far from a sure thing, but I'll post if it looks likely.

Steve Z