Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default July 24th Mahoning Y-town

July 24th
Chuck Miller & I will be leading a trip down the Mahoning River threw downtown Youngstown to Lowellville Ohio. The trip is about 9 to 10 mile longs
We will meet at 10:30 am at Mill Creek Fellows Riverside Gardens parking lot,
123 McKinley Avenue Youngstown, OH 44509
then drive less than a quarter mile down a hill to the starting point.
This section offers scenic views and three good rapids to play in but are easily passable.

The one problem this section offers is a damn before we hit struthers. But the way around it is to have one or two truck parked before the damn at industrial road bridge. Where we can get out and load the kayaks in the Back of the trucks and drive down to bridge street in struther and unload them. The go back and pick up the paddlers and drive back down to the boats and continue to lowellville. This were will stop for lunch so please pack a lunch.
Mike Danko

any questions please email me
mfdanko99@yahoo.com

Last edited by mfdanko99; 07-16-2011 at 03:36 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Mary Kane

Talking Mahoning River downtown

Thanks to Mike and Chuck for taking the lead on this trip. I have not done this stetch of the Mahoning and am looking forward to it. I will be sure to BACK a lunch....tee-hee-hee. See Y'all on Sunday the24th ~Mare
Mary Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
mikecossack

Hi I'm new here very interested in going on the 24 th I have a truck if that helps out lety me know thank you mike
mikecossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
mfdanko99

I hope to see you come and yes your truck would come in handy for the short shuttle around the Struthers damn
Mike D
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
clipper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Kane View Post
Thanks to Mike and Chuck for taking the lead on this trip. I have not done this stetch of the Mahoning and am looking forward to it. I will be sure to BACK a lunch....tee-hee-hee. See Y'all on Sunday the24th ~Mare
Your soooo Bad Mary, truly enjoy that wicked sence of humor even if it is at Mike's expense. Sounds like this trip is one of those trips that you are able to remember longer because of the "adventure" factor. I am definitly going to try to make this one.
clipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
mikecossack

my brother in law and i will be there ready for sunday
mikecossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
debra witowski

Smile sunday 7/24

I am looking foward to sunday's ride, Crash on the other hand thinks it too hot to get off the sofa but we will be there sunday.
debra witowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
Kelmark

Default 24th Mahoning Trip

Kellie will be there with a friend maybe? Interested in joining the club.
Kelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
rayn

THANX to Mike & Chuck for a wonderful day on the Mahoning!

In my haste, along w/my white Aqua Bound paddles, I accidently picked up someone else's white Adventure Harmony paddles. And I left my sunglasses somewhere near the take out.
rayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdanko99 View Post
July 24th
Chuck Miller & I will be leading a trip down the Mahoning River threw downtown Youngstown to Lowellville Ohio. The trip is about 9 to 10 mile longs
We will meet at 10:30 am at Mill Creek Fellows Riverside Gardens parking lot,
123 McKinley Avenue Youngstown, OH 44509
then drive less than a quarter mile down a hill to the starting point.
This section offers scenic views and three good rapids to play in but are easily passable.

The one problem this section offers is a damn before we hit struthers. But the way around it is to have one or two truck parked before the damn at industrial road bridge. Where we can get out and load the kayaks in the Back of the trucks and drive down to bridge street in struther and unload them. The go back and pick up the paddlers and drive back down to the boats and continue to lowellville. This were will stop for lunch so please pack a lunch.
Mike Danko

any questions please email me
mfdanko99@yahoo.com

Many thanks to Mike and Chuck for a great trip through Youngstown today. These guys really worked at preparing for the trip and it really showed–from a scouting run, to making sure we all stayed together during the not-so-easy shuttle, to pre-staging a vehicle and trailer to get us around the dam in Struthers, to cutting paths through the undergrowth at the Struthers put in and cutting up a fallen tree that was blocking the way to our vehicles at the Lowellville take out, to painting a hazardous piece of re-bar. We owe them a big 'thank you' for a job very, very well done and we can all learn how to better conduct a paddling trip from their diligence.

A few photos from the trip are posted under User Albums. Note that I made them a little larger this time, but, unfortunately at the expense of losing some sharpness in the image. Next time I think I'll go back to the slightly smaller image size.

Last edited by JPTolson; 07-24-2011 at 10:36 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote