Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Lower Slippery Rock Creek, PA - Saturday, July 19

The level is at a fairly low 350 cfs according to the link in from the American Whitewater site:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co.../id/2504/#main

Hit the 'Flow' tab to see the gauge link. I can't get the actual USGS page for that gauge (or any other USGS gauges for that matter) to work right now. But if its 350 that's a nice low, beginners type level.

There is a chance of rain tonight. If it rains a ton and the gauge starts back up then I'm probably not going to paddle the Slip. Depending on what happens then I might opt for East Sandy Creek instead.

But I'm thinking about getting in a run Saturday afternoon, say 2:00 ish. If I go by myself I have to either hike the creekside trail for the shuttle, or ride my bike back up those hills. So another paddler for shuttle would be pretty nice.

The best idea would probably be to meet at the Harris bridge on Mountville road. We could leave a vehicle there and drive back up to Eckert Bridge and put in there (not sure of the status of the road and bridge due to construction but we shall overcome).

If anyone is interested post up here so I know if I need to plan for that hike. I am very familiar with the run, though I haven't been there this year yet.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
paul isaac

Default lower slip

I'd be interested in paddling this afternoon. It looks like the rain will pass without significant impact on water levels. Been on the reach 4-5 times this year. What wood posed a hazard has been removed by Martin Wick and fellow paddler Matt [thanks]. Eckert bridge construction has been completed. Armstrong bridge [below Harris] is closed Complete replacement. Ph # 724-730-6351 if plans change. Otherwise see you at Harris.
paul isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
swampboy62

The water level did come up a little but I still managed to keep my act together and stay in the boat. I've been away from the Slip for way too long, and it was a beautiful, misty afternoon to be paddling.

Thanks to Paul for the company and the help with the shuttle. Next time I'll surf more than one wave. And extra thanks for showing off Hickory Creek. I'm definitely heading back there on foot to check it out further.

Steve Z
Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
swampboy62

BTW the stats for the section of Hickory Creek between Cleland Mills and rt 18 is abou 130 feet of gradient in 1.75 miles. That's about 75 fpm average.

Steve Z