Old 05-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Red face Mahoning River Water Trail

Mahoning River will be partly closed for paddling traffic due to a bridge replacement on Nelson Moser Rd.

This is the section form Swift Park to Canoe City.

Start date is July 5th to September.
The water way will be open and passable on weekends and holidays.

For the club picnic I was already planning to paddling from Canoe City to Packard Park.

Thank you
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
KenM

Default Foster to Rotary ?

So what's the story on the Foster to Rotary section of the water trail? Is there still a major blockage? Or was that some other section?

-Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:48 AM   #3
JPTolson

Don't know the status of trees across the Mahoning from Foster to Rotary, but on Wednesday I had a chance to speak to Bob Gable, the head of Ohio's Scenic River Program, who also has some working relationship to the state water trails. I mentioned how the upper Mahoning was in need of help to remove river-wide blockages. Of course, as Mike has told us, Bob said that there is nothing in legislation, rules and regulations or the ODNR budget that would provide a means to remove obstacles on state water trails. But it never hurts for public officials to hear about the need for this.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
KenM

Default huummmm.....only questions

Do you think Mike's canoe would float a stump grinder? Or certainly, we must be able to pack enough dymamite in his boat to do the job?

I would go look at the blockage but I don't know where it is exactly. Could ask landowner permission to go look?

Would there be too much current to paddle down and back up if the jam was too big or dangerous to get through or around?

Ken ???
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
mfdanko99

As of last November, Foster to Rotary was clear with one portage about mile 3. It was an easy portage. I had my kayak so no chain saw.

From Rotary Park dam down stream the first mile down is impassable. It looks like a mine field of tree's. I mean it is BAD!!! You can drive down first street and see how bad it is. (that first mile was my favorite, very senic from the river :( )

I want to put in on the west branch were first street cross it and it will come out at mile marker 7. I would like to see how it is from there down to swift park.

Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote