Old 08-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Mahoning/Beaver River Trip

Sunday the 20th Jessica and myself did a scouting trip for the Beaver River trip on Sunday the 27th. The put-in on the Shenango River side is not an option as much of the bank has washed away and very hard to access in a safe manner with canoes & kayaks.

I have been watching the Covert Crossing access site very closely this past month. Every time I stop there are no pumps in the water due to Hill Corp Energy CO. You can see where the pumps where at but that is all gone and everything has been clear for the last three weeks.

With that information Jessica and myself headed over there and it was clear and tons of other boater/fisherman putting in the river.
I am going to move the put-in to Coverts Crossing for the trip.

Mahoning River/Beaver River-Trip Leader Mike Danko

When-Sunday August 27th

Where-611 Covert Rd, New Castle, PA 16102
On some maps the same road will come up as Brewster Rd
The Put-In is in Edinburg Township with a New Castle Address

GPs 40.996341, -80.415268

Time-10:00 am

Directions from Rt 224.
you can access 224 from the Ohio Side or PA off of Interstate 376/422

-Once on 224 look for West Washington Street, Almost directly across from YESCO Electrical Supply Co.
-Follow West Washington St for 1.8 Miles.
-Sharp Right Hand Turn on to Covert Rd.
-Follow Covert Rd over the Train Tracks and then over the bridge that crosses the Mahoning River.
-Once across the bridge look to your left for a rock/dirt drive right before another set of railroad track
-Turn Left and unload gear.

I will have maps to the take out at Bevington Boat Launch 201 River Road, Wampum, PA 16157

With the new put-in the trip gains some distance. It is now a 10 mile paddle. From the put-in the first 3.8 miles are a slow current to Mahoningtown. After that the current does pick up with spots that do slow down here and there. Many little riffles that might be a class 1 rapid at best. We will be on the Mahoning River for 4.5 mile before it joins the Shenango River to form the Beaver River.
Right after the point were the Shenango & the Mahoning join we will stop at Shaw Island for lunch. That will be about the five mile mark for the trip.
After West Pittsburg the beaver river has a Allegheny River feel as it widens up.
This is a great paddle for all skill levels.
If it warm out we will make several stops to let everyone rest up. Almost all area to rest at are nice easy rocky area's to stop at.
Bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

Since I have been in the club (2008) this will be the first time TCT has done this section of the Mahoning and Beaver River. I encourage all who love the Mahoning to see where it ends at and enjoy a nice paddle.

Mike Danko
Old 08-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
BOBK

Hey Mike, is there a take out at around the five or six mile point that those of us who don't have the time to do the 10 Mile paddle can utilize on Sunday?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
mfdanko99

That is the bad news of the beaver river. Very little access points, the only one I heard about is by st rt 168, but I was unable to find it when we scouted it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
BOBK  (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
BOBK

Thanks Mike!
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #5
swampboy62

I think there is access at 168, but it's been a long while since I've been that way.

Checked out Google maps to refresh my memory. When coming from east to west across the river, just past the auto wrecking yard (which is the last thing before the bridge on the right) there is a path leading down to the river (between the fence for the auto yard and the guardrail for the bridge). The path leads upriver, but keep left and you can go to the bank in a couple hundred feet.

Looks like people park right there, but there is a spot to park roadside on Galilee just past 3rd Street, on the right.

Probably a good idea to take a look before you depend on it. My memory from 20 years ago, plus a look at Google maps is not a guarantee!

Good luck.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
SOS57

Default Mahoning Beaver

If you have the free app Launch Sites on your phone it shows that takeout a as the Mahoning Launch site. It has a description of it. There is also another area further down. I believe it is on Wampum Road. I came in from below the old bridge. You go south on 18 to Grant St turn left and go back in to Wampum Road. Turn left a again. Follow it north. Road is blocked just before bridge but there was a path to get up and down. Not nearly as nice.You can actually see the bridge and that it's blocked on Google earth.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Ambridger

We will try to assess the 168 access on our way to the put-in. We will be coming up from that direction. I may possibly also be agreeable to a shorter trip.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
mfdanko99

Talked to Stan last night. The other spot he found that is the best looking is on the corner of 108 & 18, almost across from the gas station.
He said to park behind the guard rail. Grass area that leads to the river.

It is also on the App and website Stan mentioned.
https://paddling.com/paddle/location...0.3837&zoom=14

That is only four miles from covert crossing

Now I know about this site I have some work to do for the Mahoning River
Old 08-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
SOS57

The takeout for the end is on RIVER ROAD almost to the end. On the Launch Sites app it is only called Beaver River Access. It is just before 288 at Chewton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bevington.jpg (89.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
mfdanko99

Mahoning/Beaver River

What a fantastic day to be on the water, great temps in the 70's partly cloudy and great company. I was very surprised when a total of 22 paddlers and 1 k9 show for the paddle. I didn't hear much positive feed back and was worried.
17 kayaks, 1 two man kayak & 2 Canoes made the 10 mile journey down the Mahoning River into the Beaver River. I was very happy to hear many positive commits for this new section.
I also hear how many of the paddlers where happy to have a trip close to them. Many members live in Western PA and have lots of drive times during the year. To have a paddle closer to home made so many happy.
Many were please to see the pretty scenery the paddle offered and how this trip really fits the club. We had real calm slow section, flat sections with a nice current,and several ripples and 1 true class one rapid. We also paddled under to trains as they passed over head.
The lunch stop on Shaw island was fun and gave everyone a chance to look up stream and see the point were the Shenango and Mahoning River meet to form the Beaver River.
Mark and Jodi did find the take out at St Rt 168 in West Pittsburg. A little bit of a hike from the road to the river but a good put-in or take out.
We did have one carnage along the way but everyone turned out ok.
Great trip and many thanks to all who came out for this new section of the Mahoning & Beaver River
Jessica has posted pictures of the day on the website,
Mike Danko
JPTolson  (08-31-2017), Mary Kane  (09-01-2017)