Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default River Fest 2018

Mahoning River Fest-Trip Leaders Mike Danko & Friends of the Mahoning
When- Saturday June 2nd

Where-B & O Station 530 Mahoning Ave Youngstown, OH 44502
GPS- 41.10253, -80.65771

Time- River Fest is from 12-5, TCT will be giving canoe/kayak rides 12-4
I will arrive no later than 10:30 am to set up and help other unload so we can be ready at NOON
Once every one is unloaded, please park all cars at the old Mr. Anthony's parking lot that is adjacent to the B&O. The empty lot is on Oak Hill Drive next to the river by the Marshall street bridge

Calling all members & CANOES to help at the annual Mahoning River Fest presented by Friends of the Mahoning.
This is an opportunity to do what the original member of this club wanted to do. Make the public aware of the Mahoning River and how fun it is to paddle.
TCT is able to give the public a quick glance at paddling a canoe or kayak & a quick view of the river. We are to help guide them up stream and back to the B&O dock. We don't need to teach them everything just keep it VERY BASIC and enjoyable so the public might get interested in the sport.

We have a tried and true system that flows like clock work and I don't see any reason to make any major chances.
Hear is what we need-
1) All Canoes/Two Man Kayaks possible with a members who can control the canoe/kayak with people who might not be as experienced.

2) A total of four very easy recreation kayaks for the public to use/Then four kayaks manned by TCT members to Shadow the public kayaks.
Example-from last year Jessica paddled her Wavesport Ethos kayak, she guided the public who paddled my Perception Swifty kayak up stream and back. She offered help and answer any questions.

When shadowing the public in kayaks always go up stream towards west ave dock. If they are unable to paddle up stream then they can float back to the dock.
Any extra kayaks that show up can be used as displays and to make a path to guide people from our tent to the life Jacket station & to the Dock

ALL BOATS MUST BE UP TO DATE ON TAGS & NUMBERS

3) Members to work our tent & Life Vest Station & Dock- Dock workers will help load and unload boats and keep the waiting public off the dock until there turn. (aka the Jodi Vallecorsa rule) In the early years of this event we had problems with everyone on the dock and she came up with idea to have everyone wait off the dock for safety

4) Any and all extra Life Jackets we may have. All Sizes for kids and adults (Mark your Name in Each Life Vest so it doesn't get lost!!!)

For members who haven't been to this event this is our system.
1-Public comes to our tent, -Must fill out our Waiver Form, -Must receive a ticket from the tent.(The Ticket allows the life vest station and the dock workers and Paddlers know they have signed the waiver form) (Dock worker or paddler can collect the tickets)

2-Go to Life Vest station-Get fitted for a life vest.(If we don't have a life jacket big enough or small enough for people to wear then they are unable to get in to a boat!!!!!)

3-Have the public wait in line by the dock. If possible lets try to see what the public would like to do before they enter the dock. Example a person might be waiting for a kayak but the person behind then is waiting for a canoe ride. A canoe opens up then the canoe rider will go first.

4-Loading Canoe Riders-The Canoeist will have the final say on how many riders they can have in a boat at on time. In past years I have had 1 adult and two small kids as my max. Other might be ok with more or less.

5- Load Kayakers in to kayaks

6-Unload Canoe Riders and Kayakers

7- Have the public return to the Life Vest Station and return life vest.

Please note-We will always need extra members who can sub in and out of stations to give breaks. Just because you might not be at a station to start the day please stay and help give breaks during the 4 hour event.

Hope to make this year a success like the past years
Mike Danko
Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
mfdanko99

I am currently watching the water level. As Ken mentioned it can be very difficult to paddle up stream at higher levels.
Currently the river is flowing at 785 cfs at West Ave gauge.
Past cfs we have paddled
2017 700 cfs
2016 400 cfs
2015 725 cfs
2014 410 cfs
2013 400cfs

If it get to high we may shorten the time we paddle or cancel if it gets to high with rain in the forecast.

Mike
Old 06-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
mfdanko99

I will be paddling my canoe,
Jess may work the dock or be a kayak guide if needed.
I am bringing two very easy rec kayaks for the public to use
, we only need two more for the public. Then guides to lead them up stream and back

Mike
Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
Krisdrlng76

I can bring my perception sit on and I have a 8.5 ft sundolphin...may not track well at higher levels up stream. I will be in my Dagger ig you need a guide.
Krisdrlng76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
mfdanko99

That would be awesome, thank you
Old 06-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
JPTolson

Default Lost Key

TCT,

If anyone found a key at Riverfest, could you please let me know. It could be mine. I lost my car ignition key after we finished giving canoe rides. Thanks.

JP
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
KenM

Default Photos added and some comments -Ken

I'd call this another successful event. I heard 175 tickets were given out.

River at noon was 1.82ft (605 cfs).

Per my GPS... I did 10 trips. Each trip is .62 mile. I imagine that the other paddlers did about the same.

Of the times I've paddled Riverfest I have to say this was the hardest group I've paddled around. Of 10 trips I only had one person that actually helped with the paddling... and she was a complete novice. The others either didn't (or couldn't) paddle which was OK. Some were just plain detrimental as I spent more effort correcting than paddling. Live and learn... Next time I guess I'll just have to pay Jodi more to get better paddlers in my boat. Ha!

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
JPTolson

My experience was different as all but one or two of the bow persons paddled, some, of course, more effectively than others. A couple of the kids were pretty cute and funny with the things they said. A few of them needed and received a little discipline. One thing that is annoying is when the kids stick and leave their hands in the water, especially paddling upriver creating drag on the boat. I usually didn’t ask them to stop, but I did insist that they sit still and not be moving around in the boat.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
Ambridger

This year was really tough. Trust me I tried my best, but a few had a hard time understanding why 6 people couldn't fit in a canoe .

However, for the years that I've been working the line I do recognize some repeat paddlers at riverfest. So that should tell us that there are folks that look forward to what we do.

Jodi
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
mfdanko99

Default review

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CAME OUT AND HELPED AT RIVERFEST!!!

It turned out to be a great day! It was amazing to see so many step up and help. We had a lot of members switching places with each other to help each other out when one would get tired.

I apologies first if I misspell any names and I know I am going to forget a person or two because I can remember there name-Sorry

We had 5 Canoes,
Ed R, Ken, JP, Ron & myself

3 Tandem kayaks,
Steve P, Mark V, Ed H

Several kayaks as they switched out several times, the main ones I saw were,
Mary, Kristen, Joel, & Jessica

Dock hands,
Bob K, Rich Allen, Bob Danko

Life Vests
-Patty Allen, & Sue Ramdom from what I could see

Tent,
Cheryl, Lin, and a couple I couldn't remember names. Victora also help in several area's.
My total count of members were 26, but I am sure I missed one or two.

My total paddle time was 3:41 Minutes, Total Mileage 7.16

Best experience for me was Rachel, a student visiting family from U of Georgia. As we paddled you could tell she knew how to paddle and handle a boat. At the turn she mentioned she was hoping for a rapid. I didn't think anything of it until she mentioned she is on the Georgia rowing team. Explains why I had to work to stay with her.

Against my better judgment I took her down to Marshall St Rapid. She followed me through and all I heard was laughing and helling I have to tell my coach about this.

We walked around and did it a second time. As we paddled back to the dock she mentioned that this made the trip to Youngstown worth it.

Thanks again all members, you are all amazing!!!!

Mike