Old 01-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2016 Planning Meeting

2016 Planning Meeting
At the meeting we did decide to return to the Ice House Inn. After the meeting is when I learned of all the problems with food and members waiting for their checks and so on.
Patty and I had made a decision together to do something about this in hopes of it never happening again.
On Monday the 18th Patty and myself started to look at other options, and we found one that I believe will fit our needs much better.

Sunrise Inn-510 E Market St Warren, OH 44481

We will have a private room that is off to the side and will have full use of the menu and bar.
The best part is we will not have to pay a fee for the room for two reasons.
1- We should easily have over group over 20.
2- We are a local club, and they have heard of our club.

The only downside I could see is the location of Sunrise. I don?t mean the neighborhood; I mean that it is in Warren and not more of a central location like the Ice House Inn.

Where-Sunrise Inn- 510 East Market St Warren, OH 44481
GPS- 41.23598, -80.811676

Date- February 21st

Time- 1-5pm

Directions from Route 11.

Head North on Route 11 from the Youngtown area in to Trumbull County.
Take exit ramp State Route 82 West. Exit will be on the LEFT side of the Route 11.
Go 2.6 miles west on St Rt. 82, (Get into Left Lane) Get off at East Market Exit. The Exit will on the LEFT SIDE of Highway.
The First light you will come to will have a Shell Gas Station to your left and a Rite Aid to you Right.

After that light go about 3 miles heading west on East Market Street and Sunrise inn will be to your left at the corner of East Market Street and Elm Rd.

Make a Left on to Elm Rd and the Parking lot is right behind the building to your left soon as you make the left hand turn onto Elm Rd.

If we have a good enough turn out, we will plan out all of 2016. If we have a small turn out like we did in 2014 we will only do up to the club Picnic in July.
We always need trip leaders, so if there is a section of river or lake you like please don?t be afraid to lead a trip. I am always willing to help out with any questions.

Idea?s for Planning Meeting

-We have over 1400 dollars in our account. Many members don?t see any reason why we can?t spend some of it for a club trip.

-We have three good opportunities to make this happen but only pick one of the three choices.
- We could use one of two Canoe Liveries on the Tuscarawas River.
- Canal Fulton Canoe Livery in Canal Fulton OH ? Northern Section of the River
- NRT Canoe Livery in Bolivar OH- Southern Section of river.
Both sections our flat water with some riffle?s

-Other option is to use the Cuyahoga Scenic Railroad as our shuttle from Brecksville down to Peninsula OH on the Cuyahoga River.

Other thing to go over is the possibility of having more than two paddles in April due to good water flow.

One of the trips that seem to pick up a lot of steam is a trip to Pine Creek in PA. It is called the Grand Canyon of the East. Many Class II rapids. Bruce Ambrose has a great video on You Tube of the last trip down Pine Creek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktxTJqjAjw

Another trip was mentioned by Jerry Lyda. He has a camp on the Clarion River where we could camp and do any section of the Clarion River.
Jerry recommends us doing the trip the weekend before Memorial day weekend.
Just some food for thought.
Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (01-18-2016), LWP  (01-19-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #2
suram

Default Using a marine radio...

I wasn't sure where to post this so I chose here: The Northeast Ohio kayaking meet up group is having a presentation about using a marine radio and since we're getting them I thought club members might be interested:
http://www.meetup.com/NEOK-OH/events...4598&https=off
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Ambridger

We did not get "marine" radios. We bought radios that operate on the "GMRS" frequencies - General Mobile Radio Service - sort-of a public use band of frequencies that anybody can use for pretty much any purpose.

Marine radios are more specific to boating - more so on commercially navigable waterways, where the radios are used for safely navigating; ship-to-ship communications, contacting lock-masters to pass through locks, for harbor / port communications, and for distress calls to the coast guard.

Typically, marine radios would also cost about twice as much as GMRS or FRS (family radio service) type radios.

The class may still be useful, but I hope this clears up any confusion.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
SOS57

Thanks for the heads up. But remember we are getting GMRS radios, not marine VHF. Different groups that do not cross over.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Ambridger

A couple Pennsylvania trip ideas if there is interest among the members . . .

Kiskiminetas ( AKA "The Kiski" ) River - Roaring Run Park to Leechburg, with or without outfitter shuttle, flat water w/ riffles

Youghiogheny ( AKA "The Yough" ) River - flat water w/ riffles, well below Ohiopyle - Whitsett (11 miles) or Smithton (7 miles) down to West Newton (private outfitter [shuttle] take-out) OR Whitsett to Cedar Creek Park (w/o use of outfitter) about 7 miles.

Pittsburgh - The Point: Start on the Allegheny at Millvale launch, float down to "The Point" where the three rivers meet, say hello to the Ohio, then turn up the Monongahela and take out at South Side Park, about an 8 mile trip. The rivers can be choppy near the point, and there is commercial & recreational traffic, but paddling in this area is popular as well (see: Kayak Pittsburgh). We would do our own shuttle for this trip.

There are stopping points along all the mentioned trips. Pittsburgh is best to avoid during the regatta; Aug 5-7 this year, and during holiday weekends; memorial day and 4th of July . . .
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambridger For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (02-03-2016)