Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
onbohio

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig68 View Post
Hi. Sorry, jumping in on your thread.
We are the newbies and were both given 12' Pungos. One is a 2006, and the other is the old 2002 Classic. It is in good shape but very basic and has the old style seat. Both came with paddles and we bought one new pfd so far. Wondered if there is anything you would definitely suggest we add to either to get us started?
Thanks.
I'm fairly new myself, but I would guess a bilge pump, wet bag, and something to hold your glasses on. And obviously another PFD. I just got a paddle vest at Gander Mountain for $59.99. Sandals or some type of boat shoe would be good too. Something that will stay on.

Mike, Steve, JP or Chuck can tell you better than I.
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig68 View Post
Hi. Sorry, jumping in on your thread.
We are the newbies and were both given 12' Pungos. One is a 2006, and the other is the old 2002 Classic. It is in good shape but very basic and has the old style seat. Both came with paddles and we bought one new pfd so far. Wondered if there is anything you would definitely suggest we add to either to get us started?
Thanks.
May want to consider a medium-sized dry bag for personal gear and dry clothes. Keep in mind that most, if not all, of the fold-down dry bags are not truly waterproof if they are submerged for awhile. I often use a smaller dry bag inside a larger dry bag. At some point, if you like the sport and want to take on a little harder water, a spray skirt will become important. Best for a kayaker to weigh in here though.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
swampboy62

If you're talking about rec kayaking I wouldn't bother with buying a bilge pump.

Get a big ol' sponge and tuck it in beside your seat - perfect for mopping up the occasional splashes that get in your boat. If you have enough water inside that you'd need a pump then you just need to stop and empty the boat.

I've seen whitewater canoe guys use bilge pumps, but never someone in a kayak. But then again maybe its some new trend that I've missed out on...

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #24
Dig68

Thanks everyone. Starting a list.
Dig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #25
Dig68

Default Accessories

Ok I have started my list, but now asking about more questions:

We have a (2005) Pungo 120 and a (2002) Pungo Classic.

1. Neither kayak has paddle holders. Are they useful? Should we add them?

2. When taking the safety class, I noticed my knees hurt from rubbing against the edge of the cockpit. The plastic was sharp. I read you can add padding. Good idea? (The old Pungo has foam around the edge, the newer one does not).

3. How about buying a paddle leash? Do most people use them?

4. The Old Pungo seat is not as comfortable as the newer Pungo. Nothing wrong with it. From what I read, it doesn't look like I can replace it with the Phase3. Any other suggestions? This would be something to hope for down the road.

5. What else am I not thinking about for actually adding to the kayak itself? The old Pungo also does not have a plug for draining the water. Is that a problem? Both kayaks are pretty basic.

Thanks again,
PITA Donna
Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #26
flagsracer9

I don't know much about your other questions, but for flat water trips I think the paddle leash is nice to have. However, it is not a good idea to have one if you are doing any type of whitewater, I learned that last summer. I also like having the paddle holder but neither are absolutely necessary. As far as padding for your knees, I would say if it's hurting your knees then it's probably a good idea. You want to be comfortable.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flagsracer9 For This Useful Post:
Dig68  (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #27
JPTolson

I'm out of my league responding to a question about kayaks, but an option to consider when thinking about a paddle leash, is to carry a spare break down paddle.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
Dig68  (04-16-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #28
swampboy62

It's not uncommon to pad out the contact area with foam. In whitewater boats they provide padded adjustable thigh braces, but in rec boats you're left to do it on your own. Make sure you use closed minicell foam or else it soaks up water and starts to stink.

http://www.kayakoutfitting.com/

Above is a source of outfitting foam, but once you know what you're looking for you can also find it on ebay or sometimes locally.

Use DAP Weldwood contact cement in the RED can (not the green one) to stick the foam in.

I've installed drain plugs in my rec boats. It makes it a lot easier to empty them than just dumping out the cockpit.

http://www.campmor.com/sea-lect-desi...gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Once you've been paddling a bit you'll probably want a spray skirt, but for starting in warm weather and calm water you should be okay.

Enjoy the new boat.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #29
Dig68

Awesome info. Thank you Steve Z