Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Paddle Cleveland's Salt Mines

Paddle Cleveland's Salt Mines

Few people realize that the salt mines under Cleveland eventually fill with water that seeps down from Lake Erie. There are miles of partially filled passages leading to larger pools. Even without lighting you can see quite well as there is a natural soft light from gamma rays exciting the sodium molecules.

Though usually off limits, the mine owners have graciously agreed to take a group of paddlers on a short tour into the realm of the salt miners. We will glide on sparkling water through the ice clear tunnels.

Required gear will be helmets do to possible low ceilings and goggles in case of salt water splash. Kayaks are preferred although canoes are allowed. Sitting higher, canoers are more prone to pick up salt lice that cling to the ceilings. Because of sharp turns boats must be under 17 foot length and non-corrosive (no aluminum canoes). Even though it's impossible to sink in the super brinney water, Ohio law still requires a life vest. This trip is not recommended for those with high blood pressure.

And in case you are worried about getting lost, navigation is easy because the passages are all still marked with song titles and Rock and Roll'er names from the original mining era.

Once I get an idea of who is interested I will make arrangements.

This is a paddling opportunity that only comes around once each year.

-Ken

ps...I'll be out camping from Friday pm til Sunday pm so won't be able to answer any questions til next week
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
wayne  (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Happy April Fool's Day, Ken!
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote