Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Our Pictures for Public Use

I just recieved this email and want to share it with the club, and see if other people are ok with Friends of the Mahoning River using our pictures.

Hi Mike,
I am contacted you to ask for permission to use a few pictures posted on the Trumbull Canoe Trails website in the user albums. I am a starting member of "Friends of the Mahoning River" and looking to create a banner for a display table at festivals and other events. I would like to use pictures on the banner that have been posted on your website relating to the Mahoning River.

If you are unaware of the "Friends of the Mahoning River" group, we are interested citizens some are residents of the Mahoning Valley and are trying to communite to the public and public officials that the Mahoning river needs restored and revitilized. Our group (100 member standing, about 40 active members) began meetings in April of this year and we are now in the process of getting non-profit status.

If you are interested in hearing more about Friends of the Mahoning River, our next meeting is on a Monday, July 23rd at 7PM at the B&O Station in Youngstown.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your time,
Allison Giancola

I am going to try to go to this meeting as see what there goals and idea our. At this point we are not for it or against. We just use the Mahoning River.

Please let me know what YOU THINK!!!!!!
Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
JPTolson

Mike,

I have no objection to the use of any photos that I have posted as the photographer or any photo that I am in for the purposes mentioned. I think it would be appropriate for the Mahoning River group to acknowledge somewhere on the banner that Trumbull Canoe Trails provided photos.

I wouldn't be surprised if they need to contact the photographers directly and ask for the full resolution images.

jp

Last edited by JPTolson; 07-16-2012 at 04:30 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
onbohio

Default Use of pictures

They can use any of the photos I have posted.

I would go with you to the meeting, but I have Tribe tickets for that day. It's the only game were going to this year. I'll try to get to the next meeting. Do they have a site?
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
burrowsj

I have no problem with it.

You might want to have him tell you what pictures he wants to use and then ask the person who is in the picture if he or she does not mind...
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
onbohio

Hey Mike, were you able to make it to the meeting? I would like to attend their next one. Do you have any contact info?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
onbohio

There is going to be an article in tomorrow's Vindicator about the Friends of the Mahoning River, if anyone else is interested in finding out more.

I have email alerts for Mahoning River cleanup efforts, this is how I found out about it. Hopefully I'll be able to find some contact info.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
onbohio

River resurgence?

Published: Mon, July 30, 2012 @ 12:09 a.m.

Group begins long, costly project to clean the Mahoning

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

Youngstown

While many look at the Mahoning River and see a hopeless reminder of what it once was, the Friends of the Mahoning River see opportunity.

The group, which has about 50 active members, has a long-term goal of completely cleaning the contaminated sediment and removing six of the river?s eight dams.

John Kwolek, of Canfield, said most of the dams were built during the steel boom to cool water near the factories and no longer serve a purpose. He said Friends of the Mahoning River is in the process of applying for nonprofit status, which would allow it to apply for state grants that are needed to begin the cleanup process.

?Each cleanup and dam removal will cost about $5 million,? he said. ?The process is time-consuming and very competitive.?

The river?s sediment is so contaminated that Kwolek said it?s currently under a dermal contact advisory, which means that the sediment in portions of the river could cause a skin reaction.

?One of our goals is to get that lifted,? he said. ?We owe it to the river to clean it up.?

Kwolek said removing the dams and contaminated sediment will help restore free-flow to the river, which will allow wildlife and recreation to re-emerge.

?It will create a free-flowing system where fish can migrate back and forth,? he said. ?Economically, a clean river will be a benefit to any area. Once you do the cleanup, you get the recreation back.?

Patricia Natali, of Youngstown, said the group also focuses on educating the public about the importance of its cause.

Natali said the group meets monthly and is planning a RiverFest event on Oct. 6 at the B&O Station on Mahoning Avenue in Youngstown.

?People have this attitude of, ?Who cares? It?s the Mahoning River,?? Natali said. ?Getting the river back in shape would bring an appreciation back to the city and jumpstart economic development.? Kwolek said Valley residents? attitudes toward the Mahoning need to change.

?The Mahoning River has been excommunicated,? he said. ?We have a generation of people here who have never made the river a part of their lives. No other place is like that, but here, nobody gives it a second thought.?

Kwolek noted that other Ohio cities, such as Columbus, Cleveland, Kent and Cuyahoga Falls, have successfully obtained grant money, cleaned their rivers and incorporated them into their way of life.

?A clean river can mean fishing, canoeing, kayaking, biking, river walks. These are all activities we would like to see here,? he said.

Group members admit that they have lofty ambitions and a long way to go, however.

Ed Wilk of Lordstown said he knows the cleanup effort will take time, and its success largely depends on the availability of grant funding. Wilk said even if the group achieves its cleanup goal, the work will continue.

?Once the river is clean it will be an unrestricted effort in bringing back the habitat,? he said. ?And the cultural effort will never end.?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
mfdanko99

I got back a response about the pictures.
The four pictures that are being used are senic pictures, no one is in them, just to let everyone know.

We will be mentioned on the banner
Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote