Old 09-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
RonEells

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up middle yough trip Sept 21 10 am

Meet at the Paddlers Lane campground at 10 am Sunday . I will be going early arriving Wednesday staying through Sunday. Early arrivals welcome. directions if coming from Youngstown get on 76 get off at exit 110 at Somerset. take 281 south into Confluence. Into town to the square turn right, go down river out of town You will go over Laurel Hill Creek past a power plant the river will be on your left. you will come to the narrows, a one lane passage between the railroad and the river. Just before the railroad tracksturn left down a dirt road to Paddlers Lane Campground and B&B. If you are coming from Route 40 out of Union town turn left on 281 north. Down off the mountain into Confluence over the Casselman River then left into the square go right around the square out of town down river to Paddlers lane B&B and Campground. See you then.
RonEells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
jimbo

Default Want to go

Ron,
Do to family obligations I will not be able to attend your camping/paddling trip. That is a beautiful area. Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Jim

Last edited by jimbo; 09-11-2014 at 07:42 AM.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
mfdanko99

Default Trip Info

Youghiogheny River-Middle Section

Where- Paddlers Lane Retreat 255 Paddler's Lane Confluence, PA 15424

(39.828214,-79.377790)

1-814-964-0410

Call to make RSVP if you plan on camping on Saturday Night

When-Sunday September 21st.

Time-10 am at camprground

Here is what I found about the Middle Yough.

The calm and scenic Middle Yough’s Class I and II rapids are a great introduction to whitewater rafting & Kayaking. By paddling the gentle waters of this nine-mile section of river, you and your family or friends will enjoy the unending beauty and wildlife of the middle Yough. (PA State Park website)

The Middle Yough is about 9 miles with roughly 7 class II rapids and some class I ones that are spread out over the trip.

This is a step up from Little Beaver Creek and the Grand River, Both those river only have one or two class II rapids. The Middle Yough will offer more class II rapids. But again we have Ron who retired from river sport as a river guide for the public who doesn’t have our experience on the water. Ron will be able to help anyone threw the rapids and make a great day.

Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
mfdanko99

Jess & I will be there early sunday morning, we are leaving after the YSU game which is a night game. We will meet eveyone at the campgrounds.

Talked to Jerry Lyda he is going to try to make it as well
Old 09-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Talking

The Middle Yough Trip was a success. We had seven total showed up for a 9.5 mile trip down the Middle Yough. Bob (Rootstown) , Pat, his wife and Mike (Hubbard), Jessica & Mike(Champion), & Trip Leader Ron (Elkton).
We had several spills as we practiced ferrying across the river and catching eddies. Many of us was able to use this time to practice control and understand what Ron was instructing.
After that we just lined up like ducks in a row and followed Ron.
Over all I found this trip easier to paddle than Beaver Creek. No Sharpe turns or big waves. The rapids are a different kind of class II then what we are use to. They are more rock gardens were you must pick you line and go.
The level we did it was 2ft on the USGS gauge. I was told a 4ft the rapids come more alive like I am use to.
Any one in our club can easily handle the Middle section of the Yough.
Over all we had ok weather with on and off shower during the paddle. Right at the end we had a down poor as we were packing up that made it very memorable experience.

Thanks goes to Ron for getting the club to branch out on a new river and leading the trip.

Mike Danko