Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
River Rat

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Mahoning River safe river access sites

Hello all,
I plan to paddle from Foster Park towards a trail head in Warren area. Of the 7 listed put in/take out sites, are any not safe?
My wife and kids may be parked there a bit waiting to pick me up as I kayak to them. I've heard Warren has bad spots.
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
swampboy62

Everywhere has unsafe spots.

Heading from Foster, a good bet on a take-out would be Canoe City Park on Leavitt Road in Leavittsburg, which is a safe enough area. If they would prefer a more rural spot, then take out at the next park upstream, Swift Metropark, on Benedict Leavittsburg Road. Very nice out there.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
Hello all,
I plan to paddle from Foster Park towards a trail head in Warren area. Of the 7 listed put in/take out sites, are any not safe?
Though I have not paddled the stretches between Foster Park to Newton Falls dam and Newton Falls Dam to Swift Park in a couple years, you will likely encounter a number trees blocking the river at different points. This will mean a carry around or over them.

Since in another post you mention being new to kayaking, please be aware of the dangers posed by low head dams. There are several between Foster Park and Warren. Do not approach them from upriver/above or downriver/below. Carry around them.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
River Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTolson View Post

Since in another post you mention being new to kayaking, please be aware of the dangers posed by low head dams. There are several between Foster Park and Warren. Do not approach them from upriver/above or downriver/below. Carry around them.
I don't even know what low head dams are. I am familiar with upriver and downriver terms. Now I'm spooked. Thanks for the warning. Not exactly sure what I'm looking out for though.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
JPTolson

Google the term "low head dam" and/or "drowning machine" to learn more about the dangers. Although there are sometimes warning signs or buoys in the river to alert boaters, recognizing a dam from upriver may not be obvious for a beginner. Check You Tube to see if there are any videos for how to recognize them. Consult guidebooks or speak to individuals who are knowledgeable about the section of river you wish to paddle (like you've done by posting here) so that you are aware of hazards. Pick up a copy of the Mahoning River Trail map from Trumbull County to see the location of dams on the river in Trumbull County. I believe it may also be online.

Last edited by JPTolson; 06-08-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
River Rat

Will signs alert me of these low dams?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
JPTolson

I believe there are warning buoys for the dam at Leavittsburg/Canoe City. Can't recall is there is for the Newton Falls dam. Don't know about the dams in Warren. Perhaps someone else from the club will chime in here.

Go look at the river/dam from shore so you will have an idea of when you are coming up on it if you are not with someone who does.

Check out this recent thread on this forum

Last edited by JPTolson; 06-08-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
mfdanko99

I haven't made it from foster park down yet this year. Like JP said I can only imagine it has some strainers.
Best and safe option is to paddle swift park to canoe city. 3 miles. Portage canoe city to put in by old power station. From there to Packard is 5 miles. Both sections are pretty, easy paddles and clear. There are two bald eagles nest and a nice simple class I rapid by lover lane.
Hope this helps mike Danko

Ps on Saturday about three a group of 5 will be paddling from Canoe city to Packard any one is welcome to join us

Last edited by mfdanko99; 06-08-2017 at 08:34 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote