Old 08-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Three Rivers Run

Three Rivers Run: Sunday, August 28

Launch from Millvale at the 3.2 mile post (river right) on the Allegheny River, float down into the city, stop just outside Heinz Field at the 0.2 mile post (river right), put back in and cross The Point to head up the Monongahela River, first on river right, then crossing to river left, to our take-out at the 2.3 mile post (river left). This obviously amounts to 5.5 miles, but I would say closer to an even 6 with the two necessary river crossings.

Time: Meet at the launch at 10:00am. Offload boats, then stage vehicles for the move to the take-out.

Launch: Millvale Riverfront Park ? The listed address is 70 River Front Drive, Pittsburgh (Millvale) PA 15209, however this address does not work in either of my Garmin GPS units. The closest address that I was able to GPS was 100 Lincoln Avenue 15209. Due to road construction, I would suggest using the PA Turnpike to exit 48 (Allegheny Valley) instead of exit 28 (Cranberry), as your GPS will likely suggest. From the Allegheny Valley exit, you will utilize Route 28 southbound. Coordinates my Garmin GPS gave at the launch site: N 40 28.490, W 79 58.158

If you utilize Route 28, Millvale is exit ?3B?.

From southbound 28, stay straight down the exit ramp to the stop sign, then continue into the center lane as if going towards 28 south. After going through the second stoplight, bare left (towards 28 south) and then turn left (before going up the ramp) into the railroad crossing. Continue through the tunnel and follow the road around to the right. Pull into the first parking lot on the left.

From northbound 28, make a left at the stoplight at the end of the ramp, into the center lane, as if going towards 28 south. Bare left through the next light (towards 28 south) and then turn left (before going up the ramp) into the railroad crossing. Continue through the tunnel and follow the road around to the right. Pull into the first parking lot on the left.

Take-out: Southside Riverfront Park ? use the address of 6 South 18th Street, Pittsburgh PA 15203. As you come to the end of South 18th Street, continue through the railroad crossing and follow the road as it bends to the right. There is a large parking area at the end of the road, under the bridge. There is parking for trailers as well.

Please ?google earth? the launch site, as it is in a congested area and may be a little tricky to find in the hustle of traffic. The ?street view? will allow you to see the railroad crossing from East Ohio Street and will allow you to ?virtually? drive towards the launch site parking lot.

Pack a snack, sunscreen (there is little shade), and plenty of water, but save room for dining at one of Pittsburgh?s unique restaurants. Near the take-out: Primanti Brothers, Hofbrauhaus, Big Jim?s (as seen on Diners Drive-Ins & Dives), and Birmingham Bridge Tavern . . . just to name a few of my favorites. Also REI is about a 3 block walk up the bike trail from the take-out.

I suggest everybody wear and secure their PFD, as there are few natural shore lines in the city, rather the river banks are vertical concrete. The area around the point is a no-wake zone, however the commercial and pleasure boats do make some notable waves.

UPDATE SINCE THE NEWS LETTER: I have recently learned of some other events in the city on Sunday. There is a bicycle event that is using Southside Riverfront Park as a start and end point. This may be problematic for us in terms of parking. We?ll see. If there is not enough parking, my ?plan B? will be for us to take-out at the Mon Wharf, which is usually closed on Sundays, however there is to be a vintage fire truck event there on Sunday. This will have to be a game day decision, and I will let you know at the launch. Yes, there is a ?plan C? as well, as Pittsburgh now has various launch sites. Please RSVP here on the web site so I can start to get an idea for parking.

A bit of good news: The ten day forecast is looking good; and the marina at our launch site has agreed to allow us use of their private restrooms!

If anybody has questions, I will be watching the TCT site, or feel free to call or text me: 724-601-9801.
Mark
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
suram

I am planning to be there though I am not at all fond of Pgh traffic and congestion
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
Ambridger

No worries, probably won't be too bad on a Sunday morning.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
mfdanko99

Jessica & I will be there, Looking forward to it
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
mfdanko99

Default Trip Review

A big THANK YOU is in order for Mark & Jodi. They had everything organized and ready to go.
Most of us don’t know the Pittsburgh area and marks directions were very good. Most of us all made a wrong turn at the same location due to road set up with signs. Mark went the extra mile and had two bright pink signs to help us know where we were and parking.
I was so happy to see a good turnout. We had 17 boats (3 Canoes, 2-two man kayaks, & 12 kayaks) with a total of 20 paddlers.
I thought the shuttle would be tougher than it was. Mark had a game plan and knew how to do it. He had three option for the paddle. It all depended on how pack the location were for us to have enough room to park.
We scouted option A and no room, so we went with option B that had plenty of room especially for Jerry and his trailer.
I would also like to say our two way radio’s once again came in handy. Mark had one and I had the other during the shuttle and Stan brought his set as well. Made the shuttle that much easier for lead car and the last car to stay in touch while in downtown Pittsburgh. They also helped on the river to make sure we stayed together.
Once on the water all I can say is WOW. The views from the water into downtown was amazing. Pittsburgh is a pretty city with tons of thing to look at and lots of bridges to paddle under.
The boat traffic of the Allegheny & the Mon was good and made for some nice waves
We took a small break at Heinz field and we put our special touch on it.
Nate, Pete, Shane and myself stood in front the stadium and did the O-H-I-O sign and broke into a great rendition of “We Don’t Give a Damn for the Whole State of Michigan” While singing some folks looked at us like we were crazy.
After that some of us paddle up to a WWII submarine then across the point to the take out at Warf’s landing where there was a fire truck show going on.
What an excellent day in Pittsburgh!!! I sure hope we see this trip on future schedules.

Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 08-29-2016 at 10:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
Ambridger  (09-04-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
drx44420

Default Three Rivers Run

...had a great time yesterday with the TCT group kayaking in downtown Pittsburgh...from Millvale, PA down the Alleghany River to Point Park and a short run up the Monongaheha River. Thanks to Pete Morabito for the pics... can be seen on the Friends of the Mahoning River facebook site.
drx44420 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drx44420 For This Useful Post:
Ambridger  (09-04-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Talking

jessica posted pictures