Old 02-10-2022, 06:16 AM   #1
DustinSW1627

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Group Camping/Safety Training July 29-31

Hello, I have been working on a club camping trip to Pymatuning State Park. I have also been working with the Park Naturalists at Pymatuning and Cook Forest to conduct a water safety class for Canoes and Kayaks while we are there. We are still working on all the details. I have already reserved Group Tent camp site #08 at Pymatuning at Emily’s advice that it is the best site and will be full soon. (park Naturalist at Pymatuning) It is a tent site on the water that can hold up to 100 campers. The plan now would be to arrive Friday night with water safety training Saturday, maybe small lake paddle Saturday night, with club trip Sunday on the Shenago from the dam to Greenville park. If the safety class does not work out I still plan to have group camping with paddles. What training would people be interested in? Who would be interested in coming? What boat would you bring? Emily and Dale are both ACA certified kayak instructors and Dale has completed requirements for Canoe so can teach on that subject. Please give me your thoughts, ideas, and any involvement you can.

Dustin Noel
724-301-4751
Dustinnoel@hotmail.com
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
Ambridger

Seems like a great idea. I've seen lots of requests on various FB pages for such programs. Open this to TCTC folks first and then expand to the various canoe & kayak FB pages. I would think this would attract a bunch of folks.

I know Jodi has been looking forward to launching from the dam again. It's been years, but she still has nightmares.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:41 PM   #3
JPTolson

Default Boat-over-boat recovery

Since the training will be on a lake it would seem like a good opportunity to practice boat-over-boat recovery for both canoe and kayak and paddler re-entry in open water over one’s head. Kayakers with spray skirts could also work on wet exits. Don’t know if learning to roll a kayak would be in the cards with mostly rec boats. We worked on it in a pool session several years ago when Ron helped lead the session and there were a couple whitewater kayaks I think.

I imagine that the American Canoe Association would have an instruction curriculum to draw ideas from.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
JPTolson

Default ACA Classes

Here is a link to American Canoe Association courses and course content. This could help generate ideas for what to include in the proposed safety class.

https://americancanoe.org/education/types-of-courses/
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
mfdanko99

I love it and looking forward to it.
I Will most likely bring both Canoe's and Jessica ethos kayak

Last edited by mfdanko99; 02-14-2022 at 07:03 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #6
trjim

I am in. Why wouldn't you want to learn something that could save a life, possibly your own?
trjim is offline   Reply With Quote