Old 06-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Beware Poison Hemlock

Today a warning about Poison Hemlock popped up on the Ohio Scenic Rivers Facebook page. It's a good reminder to beware of this member of the carrot family that is blooming now and grows along rivers and streams. It is highly toxic to eat or touch. Here is a brief video from Penn State that describes the plant.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
swampboy62

Nasty stuff, for sure.

Another one we have around here that's just as bad is wild parsnip. Looks a lot like wild hemlock, but yellow flower umbrels. And the sap can cause permanent skin damage, not to mention blindness.

Saw some yesterday along Little Beaver Creek Greenway when I was riding my bike. It's not hard to find, but dies down by mid summer.

https://bygl.osu.edu/node/1265
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
KenM

Default Poison Ivy is worst now too.

I had heard years ago that poison ivy grew better with more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and I expected that was why we see such a proliferation of it these days.

I recently stumbled upon an article about a (2006) six year study by Duke University. They enhanced the cO2 in the Duke Forest and monitored the vegetation. And yes everything did grow faster, but the vines did better.

The trees grew about 8% more but the Poison ivy grew an incredible 149% more! AND the plants produced a more toxic form of urushiol.

In my observations the PI is way worst than it used to be.

--Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote