Old 10-12-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Mahoning River-Lowellville

Mahoning River Lowellville to Coverts Crossing ( McKinney Russell Boat Access Area )
Trip leader Mike Danko
When-Sunday October 16th
Where-Lowellville Water Front Park W Water St, Lowellville, OH 44436
GPS 41.037384946092715, -80.53821058779188
Time 11 am
Class I & II Rapids

We finally get to head back to Lowellville for a fall paddle. Last time we were there for a fall paddle was 2019. Things have changed since our last paddle in spring of 2021 in Lowellville. We will be using the newly constructed water front park at the end of west water st. This beautiful park has a great launch and history of Lowellville. This section has two main rapids and a bunch of little riffles that are class I's
Once we launch we will quickly come to a class I+ rapid called wing dam rapid; but it is an easy straight forward rapid.
The second is just past the 224 bridge,a class II. We call it Radio Rapid (ask Ed Ribgy why) This is a super easy rapid to get through. Line up in the middle and paddle straight through it. Very straight forward when it comes to rapids but it is a fun one to go through.
Make sure to pack a lunch.
Please post if you are planning on coming or text me 330-766-3129
Mike Danko
Old 10-13-2022, 02:29 PM   #2
sydney1022

Default Class II Rapids for Beginner?

Hi!

I am new to this group and relatively new to kayaking. I began in June of this year and have probably kayaked 15-20 times this summer. I really want to go on this trip, but I am a little leery of Class II rapids. I have been on riffles and a small set of Class I rapids on the Allegheny/Buckaloons trip.

My question is: are Class II rapids too much for someone with my level of experience?

I have a Pungo 125, by the way--if that plays any part. Thanks in advance for any advice!
sydney1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
Ambridger

You’ll be good. Always have a dry bag with you for cold water paddles.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
JPTolson

Default There are options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1022 View Post
Hi!

I am new to this group and relatively new to kayaking. I began in June of this year and have probably kayaked 15-20 times this summer. I really want to go on this trip, but I am a little leery of Class II rapids. I have been on riffles and a small set of Class I rapids on the Allegheny/Buckaloons trip.

My question is: are Class II rapids too much for someone with my level of experience?

I have a Pungo 125, by the way--if that plays any part. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Stephanie,

Great that you, as a new paddler, are pondering whether it is wise and safe to run what we affectionately call ‘Radio Rapid.’ Even better that you are consulting others with experience for advice. Our club’s members are always willing to help new paddlers. There are options for how to approach and run any rapid.

1. Read it and and run it. This means that you read the water (determine the best way(s) through the rapid) and paddle as you approach and go through it without the benefit of scouting the rapid from shore or following a paddler ahead of you.

2. Follow the boat ahead of you. This can work, but it can also backfire if you are a new paddler and the paddler in front of you likes to take tricky or unconventional lines (routes) through a rapid. It will work best if you ask an experienced paddler to take the easiest line so that you can then follow that route.

3. Get out of your boat upstream of the rapid, walk down the river bank, and scout the rapid. This usually gives a paddler a good idea of the line(s) (route) through the rapid to paddle through it successfully. NOTE: The rapid will look very different when you are back in your boat on the river and paddling into it than it did from shore.

4. Carry your boat around the rapid. After scouting a rapid and you do not wish to run it, carry your boat on the river bank to below the rapid or line it (requires a painter) through the rapid from the shore or in water along the bank if the water is shallow enough to walk through it.

5. Ask an experienced paddler to paddle your boat through the rapid and walk around the rapid on shore.

There are a few other options, but the ones above should be enough to allow you to decide how best to get safely through Radio Rapid. And, as Mark said, carry a dry bag with dry clothes, tied into your kayak, as warmth insurance. The water on Sunday will be cold.

Last edited by JPTolson; 10-14-2022 at 10:18 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:42 PM   #5
sydney1022

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate the willingness of folks in this group to share their experience and knowledge!
sydney1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 04:43 AM   #6
lmk9232

Default Mahoning river trip

Dear Mike,
I will be able to attend.
Thank you,
Larry Koval
lmk9232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #7
mfdanko99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk9232 View Post
Dear Mike,
I will be able to attend.
Thank you,
Larry Koval

Thank you for the heads up
Old 10-15-2022, 07:12 AM   #8
mfdanko99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1022 View Post
Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate the willingness of folks in this group to share their experience and knowledge!

I sure hope you come. It's a great trip. JP said it best
Old 10-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #9
trjim

I will be there. I want to check out the new launch in Lowellville.

Jim
trjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:11 PM   #10
JPTolson

Default Can’t make it

Really sorry that I won’t be on this trip. Will miss my paddling mates. Hope everyone has a good run.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote