Old 03-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
TkRhoades

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Advice on

Hello,
I just became a member and I am just beginning this journey. I recently purchased a kayak (waiting for it to deliver) but I am looking for advice on a few things:
A paddle (type/brand/size)
Life vest
SUV Rack

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks,

TkRhoades
TkRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
JPTolson

Default PFDs

Welcome to Trumbull Canoe Trails!

I’ll try to answer your question on personal flotation devices (PFDs). Since I paddle a canoe, it’s more appropriate for a kayaker to address the question about paddles and racks.

The U.S. Coast Guard defines five classes PFDs. Most recreational paddlers use a type III PFD which is a front zip up vest. (One club member uses a type V which is designed to inflate.) There are many different manufacturers and designs of type III PFDs.

In my opinion, the most important features to look for are comfort, correct fit, and adequate buoyancy for your weight. The label should state how much weight the PDF will support and should indicate that it is approved by the U.S. Coast Guard.

For a correct fit, the jacket should be comfortable when snug and should not ride up over your ears when in water over your head. There should be multiple cinching straps along the sides to allow the wearer to tighten the fit of the jacket. There should be a clip at the bottom of the jacket for additional security. You can probably test this on land by getting someone to pull up on the shoulder straps to make sure the PDF does not ride up significantly.

Other features to consider are pockets and color. Multiple pockets are essential for me as I always carry a set of car keys and my wallet on my person while on the water. I like a bright color PFD for enhanced visibility.

Hope this helps get you started. I’m sure other club member can offer additional factors to consider. It’s always good to hear differing perspectives, thoughts, and insights.

Last edited by JPTolson; 03-26-2021 at 09:05 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
mfdanko99

Welcome to the club!!!

Life vest can be tricky, so many styles. The best is to try them on and do the motion of paddling and see if it might chaff under the armpits and can you get it tight enough that it can't be pulled off you but still be comfy.

As for paddles there many idea's on how to pick one. For me personally I like a little longer paddle for my rec kayaks, but also consider how wide your kayak is.
If it is to short you will be bang it against the kayak and not getting good strokes and working a lot harder than you need to.
With me stand and reaching up my paddle is a couple inches taller then I can reach. For me that is perfect. My whitewater paddle is a little smaller but that kayak is smaller.

If you would like to come to our first paddle this Sunday and let me know if you are and I can bring different kind of life vest to try on and see how the feel.
If you want to paddle let me know I have extra boats
Give me a call or text
330-766-3129
Mike
Old 03-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #4
SOS57

When you go looking for your vest try them on. For all weather paddling I use a vest that actually will let air blow through it. My first couple did not. In warmer weather I would sweat and be tempted not to wear one. But my personal rule is ALWAYS wear your vest. You can get a decent one for under $100 most anytime.

As for your paddle try a few. But DON'T follow the old guideline of length to height rules. The newer standards concentrate on whether the BLADE will make good contact using your preferred style. Some paddle with a deeper stroke (me) while others are going shallow. Then there is the width of your kayak and how high your side obstruction is. A sit in with a higher wall will need a longer paddle. A short wall can use a shorter length and still bury the blade. I have a sit on top and need a bit longer. Someone with sot with the chair type seat may need even longer. Better paddles will weigh less, be stronger and let you paddle a longer day with less effort.

Come out to a club paddle and most anyone will let you try what they have. It will always come down to what you like. After all, you're buying it not me.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:23 AM   #5
River Rat

For a rack something with a load assist to help lifting the kayak onto the rack. This is especially helpful for taller vehicles like an SUV.
Also, the folding ones are nice for when not in use they are low profile which helps with aerodynamics,theft prevention, and aesthetics.
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
TkRhoades

Default Stan - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS57 View Post
When you go looking for your vest try them on. For all weather paddling I use a vest that actually will let air blow through it. My first couple did not. In warmer weather I would sweat and be tempted not to wear one. But my personal rule is ALWAYS wear your vest. You can get a decent one for under $100 most anytime.

As for your paddle try a few. But DON'T follow the old guideline of length to height rules. The newer standards concentrate on whether the BLADE will make good contact using your preferred style. Some paddle with a deeper stroke (me) while others are going shallow. Then there is the width of your kayak and how high your side obstruction is. A sit in with a higher wall will need a longer paddle. A short wall can use a shorter length and still bury the blade. I have a sit on top and need a bit longer. Someone with sot with the chair type seat may need even longer. Better paddles will weigh less, be stronger and let you paddle a longer day with less effort.

Come out to a club paddle and most anyone will let you try what they have. It will always come down to what you like. After all, you're buying it not me.
I will be looking for lighter and stronger, since this is my first Kayak (sit in) and I am 6’1 I am thinking shorter is not an option... Thanks again
Old 03-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
TkRhoades

Default Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdanko99 View Post
Welcome to the club!!!

Life vest can be tricky, so many styles. The best is to try them on and do the motion of paddling and see if it might chaff under the armpits and can you get it tight enough that it can't be pulled off you but still be comfy.

As for paddles there many idea's on how to pick one. For me personally I like a little longer paddle for my rec kayaks, but also consider how wide your kayak is.
If it is to short you will be bang it against the kayak and not getting good strokes and working a lot harder than you need to.
With me stand and reaching up my paddle is a couple inches taller then I can reach. For me that is perfect. My whitewater paddle is a little smaller but that kayak is smaller.

If you would like to come to our first paddle this Sunday and let me know if you are and I can bring different kind of life vest to try on and see how the feel.
If you want to paddle let me know I have extra boats
Give me a call or text
330-766-3129
Mike
Mike great advice on the vest/paddle. and thank you for offering a but Unfortunately my Kayak has not arrived yet so I will not be attending tomorrow’s paddle and I had already made other plans. But I am hoping it is in by the next one in April... Thanks again Troy
Old 03-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #8
Ambridger

Like the guys have said, get a PFD that fits proper and feels reasonably comfortable. I too like to have pockets on the PFD to hold gloves and emergency items: knife, fire starter, light stick. Also, look into carrying a rope throw bag … these are made specifically for water sports / water rescue. And I believe we're all required by law to carry a sound producing device (whistle).

As for a rack, we use the Malone "Downloader" rack. It folds down when you don't need it, and Malone also makes a load assist device to help get the boat up into the rack. I do not own the load assist (yet), but do carry a small step ladder that I use to help get the boat on and off of the car. I would suggest to buy a few extra straps, because should your boat get loose, that could lead to disaster.

Comfort can factor into paddles, but even more so, (as with most things) price can be a factor. You can get an el-cheapo at Walmart, and still enjoy floating on down the river, or you can get a wiz-bang fiberglass / Kevlar / Teflon paddle and it may be so light you may not even know you're holding it … in fact I've heard the water just gets out of the way for some of those paddles.

However ya do it, always think about safety, from the time you pull out of the driveway, until you get the boat back in the shed. Hope to see ya out there. We always have a good time.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #9
ramoore

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...on-device.html

For me personally- the more adjustment straps the more customize fit to your body shape. My Astral V-eight has 6 adjustment straps.
AND- pockets! Easy access/size/ etc
Lastly- pick a color that has HIGH VISIBILITY! In case you need to be seen by other boaters or being rescued.

Be Well
ramoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
JPTolson

Default Another take on kayak paddles

Just saw this recent post on another paddling board for what to consider when selecting a kayak paddle for one person who is 6'4'' and another who is 5'5''. I suspect the suggestions are coming from a whitewater paddler. When he speaks of feather angle, I believe it is related to whether a paddler uses right hand or left hand control of their paddle. The feather angle would be on the paddle blade opposite of which hand is exerting control of the paddle. This may be a consideration for buying a paddle after gaining some experience. I could be wrong about this since I don't paddle a kayak, but both feather angle and left or right hand paddle control are terms that kayakers talk about.

Last edited by JPTolson; 05-24-2021 at 09:32 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote