TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default River Fest 2017

Mahoning River Fest

Trip Leaders Mike Danko & Friends of the Mahoning
When- Saturday June 3rd

Where-B & O Station 530 Mahoning Ave Youngstown, OH 44502

GPS- 41.10253, -80.65771

Time-River Fest is from 12-5, TCT will be giving canoe/kayak rides 12-4
I will arrive no later than 10:30 am to set up and help other unload so we can be ready at NOON

Once every one is unloaded, please park all cars at the old Mr. Anthony's parking lot that is adjacent to the B&O. The empty lot is on Oak Hill Drive next to the river by the Marshall street bridge

Calling all members & CANOES to help at the annual Mahoning River Fest presented by Friends of the Mahoning.
This is an opportunity to do what the original member of this club wanted to do. Make the public aware of the Mahoning River and how fun it is to paddle.
TCT is able to give the public a quick glance at paddling a canoe or kayak & a quick view of the river. We are to help guide them up stream and back to the B&O dock. We don't need to teach them everything just keep it VERY BASIC and enjoyable so the public might get interested in the sport.

We have a tried and true system that flows like clock work and I don't see any reason to make any major chances.
Hear is what we need-
1) All Canoes/Two Man Kayaks possible with a members who can control the canoe/kayak with people who might not be as experienced.

2) A total of four very easy recreation kayaks for the public to use/Then four kayaks manned by TCT members to Shadow the public kayaks.
Example- Jessica will paddle her Wavesport Ethos kayak, she will guide the public who will be paddling my Perception swifty kayak up stream and back. She can offer help and answer any questions.
When shadowing the public in kayaks always go up stream towards west ave dock. If they are unable to paddle up stream then they can float back to the dock.
Any extra kayaks that show up can be used as displays and to make a path to guide people from our tent to the life Jacket station & to the Dock

ALL BOATS MUST BE UP TO DATE ON TAGS & NUMBERS

3) Members to work our tent & Life Vest Station & Dock- Dock workers will help load and unload boats and keep the waiting public off the dock until there turn. (aka the Jodi Vallecorsa rule) In the early years of this event we had problems with everyone on the dock and she came up with idea to have everyone wait off the dock for safety

4)Any and all extra Life Jackets we may have. All Sizes for kids and adults(Mark your Name in Each Life Vest so it doesn't get lost!!!)

For members who haven't been to this event this is our system.

1-Public comes to our tent, -Must fill out our Waiver Form, -Must receive a ticket from the tent.(The Ticket allows the life vest station and the dock workers and Paddlers know they have signed the waiver form) (Dock worker or paddler can collect the tickets)

2-Go to Life Vest station-Get fitted for a life vest.(If we don't have a life jacket big enough or small enough for people to wear then they are unable to get in to a boat!!!!!)

3-Have the public wait in line by the dock. If possible lets try to see what the public would like to do before they enter the dock. Example a person might be waiting for a kayak but the person behind then is waiting for a canoe ride. A canoe opens up then the canoe rider will go first.

4-Loading Canoe Riders-The Canoeist will have the final say on how many riders they can have in a boat at on time. In past years I have had 1 adult and two small kids as my max. Other might be ok with more or less.

5- Load Kayakers in to kayaks

6-Unload Canoe Riders and Kayakers

7- Have the public return to the Life Vest Station and return life vest.

Please note-we will always need extra members who can sub in and out of stations to give breaks. Just because you might not be at a station to start the day please stay and help give breaks during the 4 hour event.

***Please respond to this post if you are planning on coming, so we have an idea of how many people we have coming to help.
Please also let us know if you are planning on helping by paddling and what boats you are bringing (example: if you are bringing a canoe, a kayak for you to use or a kayak for the public to use). Thanks!
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning to be there to give canoe rides in the Chrysler Newport. Will even give BobK a ride
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
BOBK

JP....Hope you are sitting down when you read this reply. I accept your offer of a ride in the luxurious Chyrsler Newport. No, you didn't misread that last sentence, I do indeed accept your offer of a ride in the Chyrsler Newport. See you Saturday.
Mike, I will again work the dock helping the public get in and out of the canoes and kayaks.
Also, Lin B. will again work at the table having the public sign the waiver form.

Last edited by BOBK; 06-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.
BOBK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBK For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
richpinky

Pinky and I will be there with a canoe and extra child PFD'S. Need anything else ?
richpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
MarkinCortland

Default I will be there to help

I'm planning to be there. I have a bunch of life jackets from toddler to adult. I'll bring my Kayak. Since it is new I don't want to use for public. Will help Shepard or anything else needed. I had a bad wrist sprain back April. I finally feel good enough to get paddling. My wife and I were paddling at mosquito lake last Saturday. See you at riverfest.

Mark.merritt@outlook.com

Last edited by MarkinCortland; 06-01-2017 at 03:59 PM.
MarkinCortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Ambridger

Mark & Jodi plan to be there, will bring the tandem kayak and our pop-up canopy tent.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambridger For This Useful Post:
MarkinCortland  (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
mfdanko99

Default thank you

Thank you to all who has posted. My computer crashed so I am not able to due much online currently
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
EAR

Default funny bunny

I'll be there with the big blue funny bunny canoe. I have the extra seat and a few extra pfd's.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
KenM

The USS Grumman is tethered to the transport vehicle. Have 3 extra vests. Looks like a sunny, 80 deg day so I expect it to be pretty warm.

How much are tickets for the Chrysler Newport ride?

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #10
Greyhounds2

Default Riverfest

We are planning on coming to help with Riverfest. Mark won't be able to paddle since he just recovered from a kidney stone but we are willing to help anywhere needed.

Mark & Kathy Murtha
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote