Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Mahoning River Girard 10-29-17

A new paddle is being added for the Month of October. This paddle sorta came out of the blue with a surprise and has made the news. The completion of the new Girard Boat Launch is just about done.
This project has been a long and hard fought project that was headed by the Friends of the Mahoning and the City of Girard. This new launch will be the last launch in Trumbull County as it will lead you in to Youngstown on the Mahoning River.

With the completion almost done the Friends of the Mahoning would love to set up a paddle to show the hard work they have done before winter sets in. They have ask TCT to help lead this trip due our experience as a club. This is a good chance for both organizations to work together again.

I send out an email about a week ago and have gotten very positive feed back so last night at the monthly meeting of the Friends of the Mahoning I went ahead and took on this paddle.

This will be the second time that I am aware of that TCT will make the trek from Girard down to the B&O station in Youngstown.

Mahoning River-Girard to B&O Station in Youngstown.

When-Sunday October 29th

Where- Girard Boat Launch 40 Front Street Girard, OH 44420

*GPS 41.152649, -80.707369

Time 1pm

Length of Paddle 6.5 Miles
Bring a lunch or snack*

This sections offers some beautiful scenery to start the paddle as we leave Girard and head under interstate 80. Then we will go under a train trestle and come to a class 1+ rapid.*
As we make our way under the second trestle the current will slow up as we near St Rt. 711 . We will pass under Division St and past the historical site were the famous Jeanette Blast Furnace use to site.
Then we will come to the Division Street Dam were we will have a MANDATORY PORTAGE river right. This is a very easy portage around the dam but we will have to go one by one getting out of the boats to portage around.
After that it is a nice paddle with some ripples as we near the confluence of Mill Creek and the Mahoning. At that point the current will pick up with a nice pace and then we will head through our section Class I+ rapid as we near the end of the paddle.
Once we get to the B&O we will get out one by one at the dock.

I have ask Ed Hahn to be the lead boat as he has worked to clear this section for the paddle. I will be the rear sweeper and we will communicate with the radio's.
We will have some very inexperience paddlers join us so the one who have lots of experience can offer tips and advise if needed.

Many of the Friend of the Mahoning do not have there own equipment. At last night meeting I got account of how many others would like to paddle from the friends.*
We need a total of 5 kayaks with all the gear. I already have my two extra spoken for so we only need three more.

If you plan on coming and have extra gear PLEASE CONTACT me so I can contact the members of the friends and let them know we have a boat for them.
Please Text me as it works best for me 330-766-3129, if need email tctnewsletter@gmail.com

As we get to the end of October the nice temperatures are sure to start to drop. Consider this a cold water paddle and bring correct weather gear. Avoid all cotton and jeans and have fleece, wool, quick wicking clothes as a base layer. Then a top layers of a good wind breaker or rain suite.
Always have a extra set of cloths in a dry bag with you and a second pair of extra clothes in the car just.

PLEASE POST ON WEBSITE FORUM IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING THIS PADDLE SO I HAVE A HEAD COUNT.

Mike Danko