Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
BOBK

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Sat. Trip?

Anyone got an unofficial trip in mind for Saturday? Partly sunny and 60's.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
wardie

Default I am interested in Saturday trip

I have been working the kinks out of a stabilizer so I can fish from the canoe and would like to take her out Saturday. Do you have any suggestions? You can call my cell at 330-502-4197. Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
BOBK

I am relatively new to paddling the local rivers and streams. I usually depend on the knowledge and good advice of our fellow members. They always seem to come up with a great unofficial, unscheduled trip.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
wardie

Default new to paddling

Well Bob last week for 2 hours is how long I've been paddling! With the weather being warm I am going to try it Saturday. If I don't hear from you or other members I'll probably try the backwaters of Lake Milton and paddle up towards Shillings Mill from Carsons Landing. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks Wardie
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
BOBK

Carson's landing is okay by me...post a time to meet and we'll see who comes.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
wardie

Default Carsons Landing paddle

I plan to arrive at 11:30am this morning (Saturday). Thought we'd paddle down the area heading towards Shillings Mill and back into that area. Wardie
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
wardie

Default Carsons Landing paddle

Went to Carsons Landing and got there right at 11:30am. Stayed until 11:45..no others showed up so I was free to change my plan. Carsons Landing was high and dry due to the lake being drained so bad. Looked for a place to put in and decided none in that area were any good. Went up towards Shillings Mill area, made a left and went all the way down almost to Route 224. There's a little road that runs parallel to the causeway on 224. I took that road down to the lake where my friend and I put the canoe in and paddled north along the shore. It got very shallow in some spots. I got the great idea to time ourselves going across the lake and it took about 22 minutes of steady but easy paddling. I did find out that when you're in the middle of the lake and a Bass boat goes flying by it's best to nose into the wake and hold on to the sides. Did about a mile all total and we were both surprised that the boat turned well condsidering it's a tub a Coleman Ram X. Ha,ha good thing too I tend to bash it on the shore. Anyways a couple hours on the lake on a beautiful day was very pleasureable. Wardie

Admns: I trieed twice to upload photos and both times it said upload failed?

Last edited by wardie; 11-15-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
JPTolson

Wardie,

Thanks for the trip report. Glad you got out and enjoyed the day. Low fall flow levels can make it challenging to find enough water on rivers, although the club had good luck on its last two Mahoning River runs in October.

I'm not the website admin, but I've uploaded quite a few pix this year to the website. The files size limit is 97K and the dimension limit is 600x600 pixels, I believe. Check your photos to make sure they are not over these limits.

Good that you figured out to keep the nose of the canoe perpendicular to a boat wake. Next time try placing the face of your paddle on the surface or slightly below the surface directly out from your shoulders for better stability. It makes for better stability than grabbing the gunwales....

Hope to see you at the Chilly Chili Paddle.

JP
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote