Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2012 Paddling Season in Review

2012 Paddling Year in Review

Fellow paddlers,

It’s the end of the year–time for reflecting on the paddling season past and to revel in the high points and mutter about the low ones. I’m listing mine here, hoping that many of you will do the same and share your notable paddling experiences of 2012.

High Points

Mahoning River Trail. What a feather in the cap of Zack Svette and Trumbull County MetroParks and Mike Danko, our president, for all their work to help our home river receive this designation from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources! It was a proud moment to see the article in the Vindicator and the news item and video clip on TV.

French Creek. For whatever reason, French Creek seemed especially scenic this year. The spot where the creek bends sharply to the left at the base of the highest hillside just downstream of one of the creek’s many islands was magnificent.

Moonlight Run. The weather was perfect for this late August trip on Lake Milton. Paddling through the darkness with the moonlight gleaming off the water was just beautiful.

Cuyahoga River through Kent. Any PFD (personal first descent) stands a decent chance of being a high point in my book. The mile-long stretch of the Cuyahoga through Kent was one this year. Its narrow channel, historic dam, looming cement? plant, and rapids, even with the low water, all combined for an interesting and memorable first-time experience.

Poling Rediscovered. With water so low this year, I dug out an aluminum canoe pole that I used years ago on the Potomac River at summer levels. I thought the pole would be a good way to avoid stubbing a paddle through extremely shallow areas. Poling turned out to be a pure delight on our Little Beaver, French Creek, and Cuyahoga runs.

Low Points

Low Water Year. Without a doubt the club suffered through some very low water for many of its river trips this year. At least we now know paddling zero for some of our traditional runs.

Lost Bow Saw. On the work trip to clear a channel on the Mahoning between Rotary Park and Swift Park, I lost my long-time bow saw to the river gods. I just hope no one ever encounters the business edge of it in the water.

Canoe Wind Flip. The winds were stiff on our Grand River run this year. The club had stopped to enjoy Rich’s customary mega-sub. Most of us were facing the river, sitting about 25 feet from the bank where we had parked our boats. Suddenly a strong gust picked up my 80-pound behemoth, lifted it about five feet in the air, flipped it over and sent it bouncing twice heading straight for Jim B and Betka who were nearby. Luckily, the boat came to a rest before doing harm to anyone or any other boat after it had blown and bounded about 20-25 feet!

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote