Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2013 Paddling Season Highs and Lows

Paddling Season in Review

Well, it’s that time of year again…time to look back and reflect on the 2013 paddling season…time for enjoying the high points and maybe wincing at the low points. Here are mine, for whatever they’re worth, in chronological order, all from trips on the official club schedule. It would be fun to read the highs and lows of others as well, so please consider adding your best and worst paddling experiences of 2013.

High Points

1. Cuyahoga River, Peninsula to Brecksville, June 2. Using the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad for the shuttle was a unique experience. But the foot of water we had made this a fun run, particularly the first three miles of class 1-2 water above the I-271 bridge. Though hardly a positive, the enormous stand of the highly invasive shrub, Japanese knotweed, that seemed to extend for a mile on river left also made an impression. (The carry from the train to the put-in, however, was a candidate for one of the year’s low points.)

2. Mahoning River, Rotary Park to Swift Park, June 22. This was billed as a sunset run, and that’s what made this trip stand out. No oppressive, midday sun beat down on us. The cool and still evening air and songs of wood thrush, veery, and towhee in the forest gave this trip a relaxed and very peaceful feel.

3. Cuyahoga River, River Bend Blvd in Kent to Waterworks Park, October 27. Water level, fall foliage, no wind, and a post-paddle stop at Pufferbelly’s in Kent made this trip memorable. We had about six inches of water and a decent current. Though it was late in October, there were still many colorful leaves on the trees. Six of us who made the trip stopped for a bite to eat afterwards and enjoyed the chance to get to know something about each other besides our love of paddling.

Low Points

1. Dead Battery. Slippery Rock Creek, Armstrong Bridge to Ellport Park, March 17. There was nothing bad about the run itself, but when we returned to the put in to pick up vehicles, my car battery was dead. Luckily, several others from the trip were still in the parking lot and Steve Preston gave me a jump start. Thanks Steve!

2. The Wind. Grand River (April 7) and French Creek (May 5). Both trips experienced heavy winds. The wind on French Creek was especially strong and constant to the point that it took away much of the pleasure of the trip. Once we reached the Allegheny, I had to tack back and forth like a sailor from one side of the river to the other a couple times to reach the take out.

3. Lost Keys. Mahoning River through Youngstown, August 4. As we were taking gear out of our boats at the Lowellville takeout, I suddenly realized that my spare set of keys that I keep in a small dry bag was no where to found. I had an idea where it might be–at cement plant rapids where we had stopped for lunch and where a few of us did some throw rope practice in the current. But how in the world do you find that spot from the streets of Youngstown??? I didn’t have a clue.

I had already agreed to take Bruce Ambrose back up to the put in at B&O Station to pick up his vehicle, and figured I would somehow try to find the spot after I dropped him off. Luckily, just as I was leaving the B&O parking lot, Jake Jones was pulling in after giving another paddler from the trip a ride back to their vehicle. I asked Jake if he knew how to get to cement plant rapids from the streets and he assured me that he did and would be happy to help me get there.

After taking us through some desolate and spooky areas of Youngstown, we reached the river EXACTLY at the spot of cement plant rapids on river right. I could see the blue dry bag from the bank lying on the cobble bar immediately next to the rapids where we’d be practicing the throw rope. But I still had to get across the river to retrieve it. The channel was surprisingly deep and current fairly strong in the right channel, but I jumped in and swam across (PFD on) and recovered the bag. Thanks a million, Jake!

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-27-2013 at 01:54 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (12-27-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
BOBK

My picks for High and low points of the paddling season were easy to make.

The HIGH Point was the only trip I was able to make, Lowellville to Edinburgh.

So how can I have a LOW Point? That's easy! Finding out that there were, supposedly, more canoes than kayaks on a scheduled trip. Not much else can bring a paddler down faster than news like that. The trip shall remain nameless.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBK For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-31-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
JPTolson

uhhhh....yeah, that would be the Cuyahoga Run in October, Bob. I sense a groundswell of single-bladed paddlers joining the club! LOL!
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
BOBK

I must remind John Paul that at no time since the October Cuyahoga trip has anyone come forward to corroborate the claim of more canoes than kayaks. The claim remains unsubstantiated. No pictures seem to exist either, just like in the case of the Tooth Fairy.
p.s. If you produce pictures I'll just claim they were photo-shopped.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
flagsracer9

Merry Christmas everyone! First season of paddling down, and hopefully a lot more to come.
Highlights:
3) Cuyahoga River in June: If it weren't for the carrying of the boats for what seemed like 10 miles from the train to the launch, probably would have been #2. Although when we got to the lunch stop, I found out why Steve's kayak weighed so much... I had no idea they had a feast big enough for an army in that boat. No wonder he left it for Linda & I to carry from the train! The train ride with the boats was fun & different. My 4th or 5th? time in a kayak and first real experience with water that was actually moving at a decent speed & rapids.
2) Cuyahoga River/Kent in October: The Kent whitewater section is much easier when it's not at 1600-1700 cfs and near flood stage. No lost boats/paddles or unplanned swimming this time thru. Although, not quite as much of a thrill either. Section after Kent although flat, was very beautiful. Great paddle, although I will be glad next year when we don't have to go around that bridge just past Tannery Park.
1) Tie: French Creek in May & Allegheny River in August:
Allegheny, best part was jumping off the bridge & swimming. Although it was closely followed by trying out the paddleboards. It was also great to meet Matt & Rogue finally. River was nice & having a current just take you downstream made it easy, but too quick. It seemed like we just started out & we were at lunch!
French Creek, Although it is a gorgeous trip & nice weather(except the wind) most of the highlight was that it was my first trip with the club. Getting to meet a lot of wonderful people who I hope to spend many more weekends on the river with. And I guess, also that it was Mike & my first trip in the canoe together as well.
Low Points:
3) Missing the Sunset Paddle.. Really was hoping to make it after Tori & my agility trial but it ran too late. Although she earned a big title that weekend so I guess it was worth it.
2) Taking Tori on the Chili Run... PaddleDog has politely requested no more trips in the canoe unless it's over 60 degrees out. She loves the canoe, hates the cold. I hadn't thought of how cold the bottom of a metal canoe in 40 degree water would be for her, no wonder she kept trying to stand on the side(and flip us).
1) Whitewater in July(all non-club runs)... 1st the Neshonneck at WAY too low. Would have been easier & quicker to have gotten out and walked our boats down the river. Perk:absolutely no concern of drowning in the 2" of water. SO upon getting back to the truck, Mike & I decided to head down to Slippery Rock where he knew there was water. Rose Point to the mill...started off great UNTIL we found 2 drunk kayaking novices to have to rescue. Because retrieving stuck kayaks and random people isn't fun enough, add to it they were both too drunk to even stand up straight or listen to which direction on the trail to walk. We finally got to leave & head home after midnight when we left the search & rescue crews to search for the drunk, who we later found out had turned around and walked the opposite direction on the path then Mike had told him to go. 3rd-Kent at really high levels. 1st trip thru was a blast! Very fun, big thrill, major jump in confidence.. 2nd time thru, we came out without a kayak, a paddle, a water bottle & Mike's shorts...And then the empty handed daily search & rescue trips for the diesel in the week to follow. And the final realization that it was lost for good.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flagsracer9 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-31-2013), Lee3553  (12-27-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Chris

I didn't have a low point--except that I didn't get out for enough paddles. I will just have to remedy that in 2014. I really liked our volunteer participation at the B & O for support of the new dock on the Mahoning. It is wonderful to see that river recovering and supporting recreational use again. I also enjoyed supporting the Shenango River Watchers in September. A good friend of mine--9 year old Nathan Phillips--made his first solo run that day. I hope it is the start of many wonderful hours enjoying rivers. Many thanks to Linda Kohut and Steve Preston for helping me haul gear and letting me borrow equipment! Looking forward to the start of another season in my kayak.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-31-2013)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
EAR

Default The Year

I must say that 2013 was not a great year canoeing for me. I logged less miles than any time in the last 10 years. I missed most of the runs in the summer and fall. Reasons abound!! Low point for sure.
But there were some high points. The early run on Conneaut creek with Brad was fun and a little longer the advertised, about 5 miles longer!! An early season run on the Neshannock Creek with Paul was a blast. First time on that creek. Won't be the last.
Finally got to go up and run the Johnsonburg to Ridgeway section of the Clarion river, twice. Once in May and again in August on camping trips. The camping trips were a lot of fun.I have a new appreciation for the town of Ridgway and the Lazy River Outtfitter. Good time both trips.
2014 should be a better year. I've got a few things penciled in for the year like Pine Creek early spring, a long run on the Allegheny (75+ miles) and as much local stuff that fits.
JPTolson  (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 03:07 AM   #8
jimbo

Home remodeling is my excuse for missing a lot of the 2013 runs, really enjoyed the camping trips both on the Clarion and Allegheny. Looking forward to a great 2014!
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (01-18-2014)