Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
burnz34

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Newbie who dove right in....

Hi all, Nice site. It helped a bunch w my research. Here's how it started... I went with some other guys I work with to Cook Forest and rented kayaks on the Clarion, went 10 miles and had a blast. As soon as I got home The wife got the news that I was actively searching for one of my own.
After about a month of looking on Craigslist and Ebay I hadn't found what I was loking for, so I bought was was available - a Swifty 9.5 w paddle for $180. I know its not the best yak, but it will do for my limted use.
When I got it we happened to be camping at Shenango Rec Area, so I took it out in the mornings, and I was happy with it. Even took the kids on quick rides with them sitting in front of me.
Later that week I realized that my friday morning was open so I decided to try it out on the local river -the Shenango. After lots of computer research I realized that there were 2 low head dams in my way after the actual dam in Sharpsville and that I shouldn't mess around with them. So I decided to put in after the later one and put in behind the PSU campus in Sharon then my wife could come and get me where ever I ended up around noon with her car (about 4 hrs later).
It was a nice paddle down the river through Sharon behind the mills. There is some smells associated with this section of river. Also there is a low head dam just after Duferco. I got out way sooner than I needed to and did some bushwhacking carrying the yak because I was a bit overcautious. Now I know that you can go to the left side and get out just on top of the dam and then put in just 20 yards down stream. (much easier than the 200 yards I walked). There is an oil boom still in the water from the spill the other day. I did see small amounts of the oil still floating in the water in some of the really slow sections; all above the first boom. I also ran into one tree that fell all the way across the river but with the right line I made it through easily.
I paddled for close to 4 hours and then realized that I was only in West Middlesex so I stopped under the viaduct by O'Neil Coffee where there is another oil boom going all the way across the river.
This trip was 7.7 miles and it was paddling most of the time. I would consider this trip more like being on a pond with occasional sections of river showing up. There is only two sections of any kinds of rapids, one right after Quaker State in Sharon and the other just before the viaduct in West Middlesex.
Very nice and relaxing. I will be doing this trip again and also the rest of the trip all the way to New Castle. Any input, ideas, tips or tricks from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by burnz34; 08-22-2010 at 09:27 AM.
burnz34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
BOBK

Hi Burnz, welcome to kayaking. Several weeks ago 4 of us paddled the Shenango. We put in at Kidds Mill Covered Bridge, check out the pictures in the users albums section. Stan is probably our resident expert on the Shenango. Also keep an eye on the calendar for upcoming trips, our next one is the Allegheny trip from Emlenton to Parker with a lunch stop at Foxburg on August 29. In my humble opinion you picked a decent kayak for all around paddling. I paddle a 9.0 Dagger Zydeco, very similar to the Swifty. Very agile, light and easy to carry, and not as slow as some think. Tracks fairly well,too, unlike big heavy huge canoes that some in our group paddle. ( Just another attempt to get JohnPaul to come over to the darkside.) President Ed will more than likely be posting more info on the Allegheny trip.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
SOS57

Talking newbie & shenango

The Shenango is a real nice trip all the way to the cut off from 422 to 18 north of newcastle. The only real cnsiderations I've had fro West Middlesex down are a section just before Route 208 at Pulaski where there's usually some kind of strainer and just after 208 where there is a surprising rapids. You can run it, then pull left and walk across the small island to do it again. There are also at least three geocashes in a half mile or so south of the brindge, if you just want to get out and stretch.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
burnz34

Thanks for the info about my Swifty, I was worried that I bought some crap or just an expesive kids toy. Also thanks for the info about the rest of my trip to New Castle; it will be very useful.
The Alleghany trip this sunday might work into my schedule. I looked around here and didn't see too many details about it though. Will they be posted soon? Also how would I go about going on one of this groups trips? What will I need to do to join? What all do you guys bring on the trips?
burnz34 is offline   Reply With Quote