Old 09-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking OCT 2nd cancelled! On for OCT 1st!!!

Sorry for the delay in posting, but it is football season and I go to alot of games.

We are going to cancel the run on Oct 2nd on the Mahoning River.
Instead we are going to join the River Watchers on the Shenago River, for the opening of the north section of the river.

Here is the email I received

Dear Trumbull County Canoers,
Our nearby organization, the Shenango River Watchers (shenangoriverwatchers.org), are planning a big day on the river for October 1. We call it "PaddleFest 2011." The purpose is to celebrate and announce the re opening of the channel of the upper Shenango River to canoes and kayaks. As we "speak," a team of men and horses are hard at work clearing obstructions from the river from the dam in Pymatuning State Park, down to Riverside Park in Greenville (we'll do the balance of the river, down to Shenango Res., next year). That is a distance of about 8-9 miles. All Class 1 flat water, some riffles. And, no obstructions or portages!

Date: Saturday, October 1.

A free shuttle from Riverside Park/Greenville to the put-in at the dam from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. (drop your canoe at the launch below the dam, then
drive to Greenville, leave your car there and take our shuttle back to the dam)

All canoes/kayaks on the water from 10:00 a.m. to about 10:30 a.m.

Free hot dog/soft drink lunch from noon till about 1:30 p.m.

Clean flush toilets/washrooms at both ends of the float.

Would you be kind enough to let me know if you are interested in taking part on this day? Either individually or as an organization? Email me, or call me directly at 724 927 9483.

Very truly yours,

Hugh Clark
Shenango River Watchers, Inc.
Jamestown Lions Club

I am call him and let hugh know that way we are all a go for the 1st
The Put in is off of Rt 322 on Dam rd as you cross over the dam. I don't have a exact address for it, but her is the Latitude: 41.4983867 by Longitude: -80.4614582

The Address for Riverside Park is Memorial Dr, Greenville, PA 16125

I really hope for a big turn out from our club to show support for the river watchers and all the work they have done

Mike Danko
330-847-9741
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
mfdanko99

Default Directions from dam to park

AND DIRECTIONSClear
AAdd another location
Distance: 8.8914.3 mi Time: 16 mins

Start at DAM RD, JAMESTOWN going toward E LAKE RD - go 0.20.4 mikm

Turn Right on E LAKE RD - go 0.91.5 mikm

Bear Left on UNGER RD - go 0.20.3 mikm

Turn Right on HIGHWAY 322(US-322) - go 0.30.5 mikm

Continue to follow US-322 - go 0.50.8 mikm

Turn Left on PA-58 - go 6.19.8 mikm

Continue on COLLEGE AVE(PA-18) - go 0.10.2 mikm

Turn Right on ALAN AVE - go 0.40.6 mikm

Turn Right on E ENTRANCE DR

Turn Right on MEMORIAL DR

Arrive at MEMORIAL DR, GREENVILLE
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
muddyfeat

Mike I'll be there.
How close is the launch to where you feed the ducks that walk on the fishes backs?
muddyfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
debra witowski

Default Oct 1

I am planning on going to Shenango probably leave Crash at home it suppose to be too cool for swimming. But the Mahoning is fine paddled it yesterday self shuttle using the Stavich bike trail.
debra witowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
JPTolson

A small group of TCTers was richly rewarded for ignoring an ominous weather forecast and paddling the beautiful upper Shenango on Saturday, October 1, 2011. Rain and wind were minimal. The largely undeveloped shorelines, narrow and twisting river bed, juicy flow, and some leaves that were just beginning to turn made for a great day on the river. The free shuttle service and lunch at the take out provided by the generosity of the host Shenango River Watchers were great. A few pictures are posted on User Albums.

Check out the work of the Shenango River Watchers who used grant money to clear the river of dozens of deadfalls last summer, making it free of obstructions and wide open for paddling.

Last edited by JPTolson; 10-02-2011 at 10:14 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Hugh Clark

Thumbs up Appreciative River Watchers

TCT,
Thanks for attending in spite of the nasty weather. That morning, I was giving serious thought to paddling to Hawaii...I'm not sure, ultimately, how many people were there, but I know for a fact we served 180+ hot dogs!

The Pymatuning Park manager is now lowering the pool in the lake, so flows will be strong the rest of the fall.

The next weekend, on Saturday, with great weather, there was a mixed group of 20 paddlers putting in, followed by a Boy Scout troop of 18. This has not happened on the Shenango for more than 30 years!

With many fewer canoes than kayaks, all the known "accidents" were canoes; 3 spills, and one canoe t-boning another while the first was stuck on a log jam.

The contractor doing the removal work (hiring Amish as subs) has now floated the lower half, and will give us a target number for next year's clean-up, Greenville to Big Bend (just above Lake Shenango Res).

We're also working on a Boy/Girl Scout Camporee for June; camp Friday night in Pymy Park, float Saturday, and camp Saturday night in Riverside Park. There is room for Ohio scouts...

Hugh Clark, for Shenango River Watchers and Lions Clubs of Jamestown and Greenville.
Hugh Clark is offline   Reply With Quote