Old 09-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #11
linbow

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Water level too low this morning for me to enjoy this paddle.
linbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
KenM

Default Tusc Trip Report 9-29-19

We had a very pleasant early fall paddle on the Tuscarawas. We had 12 paddlers today... 8 kayaks and 2 tandem canoes. The temp of 70 deg and some overcast clouds made just about perfect paddling conditions. The river was low but had a surprisingly good current for most of the trip. Water in the long pools was sufficiently deep and only thinned down at the occasional gravel bars. Only one boat (that I saw) got stuck on a gravel bar. I did bump some rocks here and there. I don't think anyone had to get out and walk. A couple of osprey were spotted. This section of river was nearly all wooded and very quiet except for the last .5 mi which runs close to I-77.

NTR livery hauled us up to a sandy launch near SR 212 & Riverland Rd. They claim this is an 8.5 mile trip but my GPS says 7.0 miles from this launch back to the livery.

After the paddle a few of us stopped at the nearby Lockport Brewery for a bite to eat and more conversation.

A big "Thank You" goes to Pete for scouting and organizing this trip.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't sure what to expect for water level on this trip. Watching the Massillon gage (20 ? miles up-river) the river just kept dropping over the last few days. Mike noted the 2016 trip here was at .93 ft. Sunday morning it was reading .59 ft. This is the lowest reading in more than a year. At these lower water levels the gage doesn't appear to correlate well with the river level 20 miles downstream?

KenM

-----Photos added-----
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
We had 12 paddlers today... 8 kayaks and 2 tandem canoes.
Glad to hear that there was enough water for the trip and thanks for posting photos. While looking at the images, there appears to be a solo paddler in a third (red) canoe or are my eyes deceiving me???

Last edited by JPTolson; 09-30-2019 at 09:30 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
KenM

Default third canoe, no

I will guess you are looking at Tim. He was in a smaller red kayak and sitting within. It was an interesting older boat in that it had very sharp lines and mostly open deck. It did resemble a canoe. Hummm... In a kneeling position it might paddle/handle like a small solo canoe.

I heard someone mention that Tim was taking on water... enough to be sitting in water.

KenM
Old 09-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #15
KenM

Default future Tuscarawas reference...

For future reference...

From a launch at Craig Pittman Park just south of Navarre, I measure a distance of 12.7 miles back to the NTR livery at SR 212 at Bolivar. The livery claims this is a 14 mile trip. On river-left just upstream from SR 212 bridge (across from NTR) is a public park and it looks like people are using it as a launch / takeout. This might make a good trip some day when there's more water in the river and a good current.

Ken
Old 10-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #16
JAGraham

I just arrived home after an extended stay in Dover. The way I was running through power steering fluid, I knew I'd trash the unit before I made it home. I grabbed a hotel room and found a mechanic on Monday. They are having trouble finding a part, so I'll return next week (I hope) to pick up the Exploder and do a little more kayaking and camping around Tappan Lake. I enjoy adventures; but I really like the kind of adventures that DON'T include car repairs better.

I had a great time with everyone. Thanks to Pete for planning the trip.

Judy G
JAGraham is offline   Reply With Quote