Old 03-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Dig68

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Introduction

Hi. New to forum and a rookie. My husband and I are avid campers that have gone on a few canoe rental trips over the past few years. Really liked it and are wanting to try kayaking. Have seen many people out there at different campgrounds. Think it looks like something right up our alley. We have an offer to borrow kayaks to try this summer before making a purchase. Ordered a few books from the library to start educating ourselves LOL. Gonna do a lot of reading here also. Any advice welcome and thanks for the invitation to join.
Donna and Scot
Dig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Dig68

Default Safety Class

Ok I already have a question: Just saw about the safety class this Sunday, would it be too late to come?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
mfdanko99

No it would not be to late, plus it is a good chance to see and try different kayaks.
it is 10 dollars for the session or 10 dollars to join the club.

If you need I have extra kayaks and life vest if you need me to bring them. Please call me or email me.
Mike Danko
330-766-3129
mfdanko99@yahoo.com
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
jimbo

Default Come camping with us!

Check out Kayak Camping under Forums/Posts

I am planning for two TCT Unofficial overnight river camping trips this spring and summer, one on May 17th & 18th and one in the summer. If anyone has any ideas of different rivers they would like to do let me know.

Last edited by jimbo; 03-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Dig68

Mike-I think if it is ok I will call you. Gonna check if we can get one of the kayaks we are going to try this summer. Might not be able to by Sunday tho. We have some questions about things. What do you wear to this class for instance.
Will try to call tomorrow???

Jimbo - gonna check it out.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
JPTolson

Default Welcome to Trumbull Canoe Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig68 View Post
Hi. New to forum and a rookie. My husband and I are avid campers that have gone on a few canoe rental trips over the past few years. Really liked it and are wanting to try kayaking. Have seen many people out there at different campgrounds. Think it looks like something right up our alley. We have an offer to borrow kayaks to try this summer before making a purchase. Ordered a few books from the library to start educating ourselves LOL. Gonna do a lot of reading here also. Any advice welcome and thanks for the invitation to join.
Donna and Scot
Donna and Scot,
Welcome to Trumbull Canoe Trails! We have a lot of fun paddling trips from late March to early December and joining a group will speed up the learning curve. Members are friendly and helpful. We don't paddle anything real difficult so that should set your mind at ease. But there are a few safety considerations to be aware of as you become oriented to paddling–personal flotation devices (life jackets), cold water, high water, strainers, low head dams, and leaning down current are some of the basics. Paddling is a great way to see the countryside from another perspective. See you on the river!
JP
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Dig68

JP - Thanks for the welcome and info. Sounds like we have LOTS to learn but are excited about this new adventure. Can't wait to go on a trip with everyone. I think we have come to the right place for help.
Donna
Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Dig68

Default Safety Class

Well, we survived the safety class and had a great time. Think we learned a lot of good things to get us started. The whole thing was run very well and everyone was very patient. The "veterans" really know their stuff. Just wanted to say thanks and give you warning that we will be back!
Donna and Scot and Christine and Chad Holmes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Dig68

My books came in at the library. This is the one I am starting with LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
JPTolson

LOL...guess you have to start somewhere! As you can imagine, there are also instructional videos all over the Web. Paddling.net is always posting them on its Facebook page. Guidebooks are another good source of river reading and safety tips, though not generally for paddling strokes.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote