Old 12-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Trumbull Metropark river trail study (2009)

After the posting about a water trail on Mosquito Creek I was doing a search and came across this document prepared by Trumbull County Metroparks in 2009. It shows a a map of the proposed Mahoning river trail and also maps of proposed river trails on the Mosquito and Pymatuning Creek.

I thought the maps of the Mosquito and Pymauning might be of interest or even useful to TCT members.

Below is a link to the document and also attached is a PDF copy of the document (in case it disappears from the web) I think the PDF has to be downloaded and saved to your computer in order to view. -KenM

http://trumbullmetroparks.org/applic..._Plan_2009.pdf

Water_Trails_Comp_Plan_2009.pdf
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-25-2017), RangerSpring  (01-02-2018)
Old 12-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
JPTolson

Thanks for the water trail plan, Ken. Interesting

I believe I heard that a section of Pymatuning Creek is currently under consideration for designation as a state scenic river.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
jimbo

Nice find Ken!
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
KenM

Default Pymatuning Creek - a future scenic designation ?

In early 2017 I attended the meeting with Trumbull Metroparks, ODNR and TCT to discuss the ODNR paddle event on the Mahoning. At that meeting, Mathew Smith (ODNR's N.E. Ohio Regional Scenic River Manager) mentioned that "they" had paddled on the Pymatuning Creek and were impressed with it's wild condition. He thought it could warrant a scenic river designation. It's hard to say if there is really any movement toward that designation. I think I will contact Mathew and see what the status might be (if any).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from ODNR website....

Scenic river designation is a cooperative venture among state and local government, citizen groups, and local communities within a watershed. The designation process depends ultimately upon support and protection authority of local governments and citizens. The ODNR studies the proposed river to determine whether it meets the scenic river criteria. All interested parties, including state and local officials, community groups and concerned citizens, meet to discuss the scenic rivers program and to encourage local support for the protection of the river as a natural resource.

http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/scenic...designation://
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like this process could be a long drawn out process? Possibly TCT could be one of the "interested parties or community groups" to encourage a scenic designation? Stay tuned.

Ken Mozden
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
mfdanko99

A very good change that the Park in Orangeville could turn into a Trumbull Metro Park and use the creek as a county water trail. Per the county Metro park board.
Mike