Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Beaver/Grand River

Beaver Creek Trip Cancelled
GRAND RIVER NEW PADDLE

Originally we planned for the north fork to the Ohio river. We put together a small scouting trip and all of us agreed that this would not make a great club trip for several reasons
1- water level is hard to catch. At 3.9ft USGS we had a couple of inches and lots of scrapping
2- The portage at the tubs is longer than I thoughts and a little rough.
3- the whitewater section after the tubs to the main fork could be very tricky for newer paddlers.

I was really hoping to paddle the regular stretch from Sprucevale to Ohio River. I checked with ODNR and the river is open. The old bridge is still in use and will be until new bridge is completed.
For some reason Sprucevale group campgrounds is still closed (4-20-19 Checked) and that is were we launch from. I have called several times the past several weeks leaving messages to voicemail and to a Secretary with no response asking when the park would reopen.
With that happening I posted on the website for some help, any idea's what to do. I got some great responses from so many. I got emails, texts, and messages on the website. Thank you to all who responded and help make a decision so easy. With the majority of responses asking to do the Grand River we will move the trip to the Grand River.

The club hasn't had good luck with the Grand in recent years due to bad weather or flooding. Last time TCT made the trip was in 2016 with only four brave souls making the trip.(Stan, Jason, Jessica & Myself) The high for that day was around 30 with snow. Rich klasen lives by the Grand and met us half way with hot chocolate and pizza on that cold trip.

Grand River
When-Sunday April 28th
Where-Harpersfield Cover Bridge Metro Park 1168 Harpersfield Rd., Geneva, Ohio 44041 (North Side of the Park)
GPS 41.756852, -80.943914
Time- 11am
Trip Length 8.2 miles
Class I +(II) river

We will be starting in Harpersfield and making our way to Hidden Valley park in Madison, OH. This section is referred to as the gorge section of the river. We will see 40 to 50 foot walls of chargrin shale on both sides of us with some small water falls on the way. My minimal water level is just below 2ft on the USGS gauge.
Please bring a lunch as we will stop on the river side for a break.

Directions To Harpersfield Metro Park.
From the south
If you come up St. Rt. 534 you will enter Ashtabula County.
From the corner of St Rt 322 and St Rt 534 you will go 16 miles north
Until you hit Harpersfield Rd,
Turn Left on Harpersfield Rd and follow down to the river.
Go threw the Covered Bridge and the park is on your left.
There is a small brick building and restrooms

Other Directions-
From Interstate 90 get off at the St. Rt 534 exit (Geneva exit).
Go south on St Rt 534
Just south of truck stop will be Harpersfield Rd.
Veer to the right on to Harpersfield Rd.
At the Stop sign go straight.
Continue on Harpersfield Rd down a steep hill.
Right before you cross over the steel bridge you will see the park entrance on your right side with the brick building.
Turn Right in to the park.

Please let me know if you plan on coming by texting or calling me 330-766-3129, or by email mfdanko99@yahoo.com, or posting on the club website
Thank you.

Hope to see a big turnout for a great river!!!
Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 04-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
flagsracer9

If you come with us on Sunday, you will notice some construction going on in Harpersfield. They have started work replacing the dam, which was apparently in worse shape structurally then it looked and was expected to fail within a few years. The new dam is also going to be a new sea lamprey barrier/trap. Below are a couple links to the project is anyone is interested. I found it very interesting when I searched last winter to see why the construction barriers were suddenly there.

https://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/Porta...-24-161120-300

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U80eSEr94Q

FYI, this construction won't affect our paddle & the Lake Metroparks is still having their annual race on this same section on Saturday as well. This is just in case any one was interested like I was about what they are doing.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
JPTolson

Default 1,266 miles of protected streams!!!

Jessica,
Thanks for the information on how the Harpersfield Dam will serve as a barrier to the sea lamprey. It is interesting and remarkable that the Corps of Engineers' says that 1,266 miles of streams will be protected! It's hard to imagine that there are that many miles of stream upriver of the dam within the watershed. It would also be interesting to know how many stream miles in the watershed downstream of the dam are not protected.
JP

Last edited by JPTolson; 04-26-2019 at 12:41 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
mfdanko99

Paddle is a go,
This will be a SWIFT WATER PADDLE, Current will be flowing very fast. Possible class II rapids
Tomorrow the forecast in Madison is calling for high of 51 and partly cloudy.
USGS as of 3 pm on Saturday 5.93 ft.
The club as done the Grand at 7 ft. in the past
Old 04-27-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
mfdanko99

The grand river water level is on the way down.
At 10 pm Saturday night is it at 5.6 ft USGS.
5 ft is a nice easy paddle
Mike
Old 04-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
flagsracer9

Talking Trip Review

What a great trip!!
5 paddlers, Tom Smith, Tim Harker, Jim Dickerson, Jessica Hoffart and myself ( 4 kayaks & 1 Canoe) made the 8.5 mile trip down the mighty grand river.

The day started out very gloomy and cloudy with temps in the higher 30's.
Just a couple of miles into the trip the sun came out and we had a clear blue sky with temps in the upper 40's.
The water level at the USGS Painesville gauge was 5.4ft. At the hidden valley bridge water level was 4.5 ft.
With really good current we make the trek just under two hours of paddle time with an average speed of 5.2mph.
With some fun wave trains along the way we saw tons of waterfalls that we never see, while the other were on full display.
What a great trip with great friends. Thanks to all who made the trek up to the grand river.
Mike Danko

PS
Jessica has tons of amazing pictures of all the water falls.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:57 PM   #7
JPTolson

Default Nice photos!

Some beautiful shots of the Grand River trip, Jessica! Looked like a fantastic day on the river!
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote